Another laptop issue! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
First off, thanks everyone. I was here for my laptop a few weeks ago, my brothers a few days ago, and now my mothers now.

Here it is. She was using her laptop and the battery died and turned the laptop off. She plugged the power cord in and turned it back on. When she did, the start up screen that recommends you to start the laptop in Safe Mode appeared. Whether she chooses Safe Mode, Normal Mode, or Last Good configuration she has the same problem. The computer restarts. A quote from her "It tried to restart – show window logo, acts like it's going to then goes back to that screen." So she can never actually get windows to boot up...

Anyone know what might cause this? Thanks

Hello,

It's probably restarting because Windows has been set to automatically restart when it encounters a BSoD. Unfortunately, if this is the case, you can't disable that option because you can't boot into Windows (I don't think it can be disabled outside of Windows).

The first thing I would do is try checking the hard drive for errors, using the CHKDSK x: /R command in the recovery console, where x: is the drive letter of the OS partition. Use the Windows XP setup disc to boot into the recovery console if you're not familiar. The power outage may have caused data corruption on the hard drive, resulting in a BSoD and therefore an automatic restart.

Of course, this is just one possible explanation, but it is a sensible troubleshooting step nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom