AMD or Intel dual Core and which brand laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swdude12

Solid State Member
Hi im looking at getting a new laptop, I was looking at HP, Toshiba, and Dell. What is a better chip AMD or the Intel Dual Core and what is the difference if any? The HP's and Toshibas are really cheap at circuit city and Best buy, where as people tell me the dells break down a lot. Any advice would be great. IM looking at 2gb ram and 240GB harddrive. Also is there a way to have both XP and vista operating systems?

AMD and Intel CPUs are both perform around the same for the price but Intel CPUs have faster models than AMD currently.

I recommend Asus laptops but there aren't a lot models and configurations.

You can dual boot Vista and XP but you'll need to purchase both. (buy whatever doesn't come with the laptop)

only advantage Intel has over AMD is overclocking, which you can't do on a laptop, let alone the laptop cpu's are different from desktop cpu's. So both would make great choices.

By the way i don't really recommend dual booting on a laptop., they aren't really made for it and it kills the battery quick, just ask my cousin lol.

Ok thanks...Now how about what brand? My GF got a toshiba a few months ago and she likes it, nothing wrong with it so far. I was also looking at Dell and HP, but i hear dells break down a lot. How are the Hp's?

HP's are good. toshiba's are a ***** to take apart if you need to clean it or get to something on the inside other then ram/battery/wifi card. i have a toshiba atm and have no problems with it, other then the lack of support for xp which is a given, but i work around that.

basically with laptops, what you should do is to a store (bb or cc) and test out some different models of Hp, dell, toshiba and see which one you like the best in terms of looks, feel ( each can have a different feeling keyboard) and look for different features and just pick out which one you like the best. also watch out for the weight of it, cause if you intend on going places with it, carrying around a 8-10lbs laptop can get really old really fast.

if you do get it from a store, unless you know 100% how to work your way out of any sort of software/hardware jam and are always extremely careful with it, as in it rarely leaves the house, GET THE WARRANTY THEY OFFER!!!
it is the best thing you can do if you are not uber tech savy. if you have a problem what ever it is, no matter how stupid it is, as long as you didn't stab it with a kitchen knife or something, then they will take it, and fix it no questions asked and at no cost to you.

Dell has great after service. My laptop lcd screen got this pink line and they fixed within 2 days. Make sure and get the best warranty, it helps! However, brand isnt inportant its whats inside. I'd go with AMD as they are cheaper and perform just as well. i'd also stick with one OS. My 9300 only had that pink line problem after 2.5 years, and that was the only problem. dell laptops are also very upgradeable, so look at that feature as well! I'd choose dell because of service and the performance i get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom