Alienware M17x Laptop or something else? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Alienware M17x Laptop or something else?

Hey guys, I am getting ready to pull the plug on a new gaming notebook but cannot decide on which one is best for me or the best bang for the buck.
I am an avid CoD4 player and want a laptop that can play the game on high settings without any hic-ups.
Does anyone have an opinion on newer gaming laptops or maybe a suggestion that points my head in a different direction, maybe something cheaper that can provide me the performance that I am looking for?
Please let me know what you think.
-TIA-

*edit* just realized this could go under the laptop threads -_-

8GB G.Skill 1600
Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Alienware M17x Laptop or something else?

Okay... As far as I'm concerned Alienwares are just Dells with a higher price tag. However I may be wrong. I know that my friend had bought a quite expensive gaming laptop that will run everything smoothly(Even Crysis at the time of purchase[Not sure if that is used as a benchmark anymore]). He bought the laptop from Vigor Gaming. He said it costs about $3,000(a bit outrageous if you ask me) but it is a high quality computer and will last you quite a bit. What is your budget, and if I may ask, why a laptop? You can't really upgrade them as easily as a desktop. Incase you didn't catch the hyper-link then here is a direct link to the Vigor site. Vigor Gaming Computer - The Ultimate Gaming Computer for the Extreme PC Gamer

And here is a direct link to their Notebook section. Vigor Gaming Computer: The Gaming PC with Extreme Vigor™

And a little extra note: I have spent countless hours on his computer. The arm rest area/touch pad area gets hot occasionally when the computer is under full load, but the heat is bearable. The exact model he has is the Artorius Pro customized to his likings.

Edit: Keep in mind that I know next to nothing about laptops and how they should preform under certain conditions.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Those vigor's look sorta overpriced and ugly IMO. What about that asus that has the 4870x2 in it? Sure thats better then the m17x, or Falcon Northwest has a i7 950 with 6gb ram, and a 280m. Starting at 4k

I'd go for the Asus W90vp if you can find it. Newegg has it deactivated, but that would be a beast of a laptop, remember reading somewhere that it broke 20k in 3dmark.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt45 View Post
Those vigor's look sorta overpriced and ugly IMO. What about that asus that has the 4870x2 in it? Sure thats better then the m17x, or Falcon Northwest has a i7 950 with 6gb ram, and a 280m. Starting at 4k

I'd go for the Asus W90vp if you can find it. Newegg has it deactivated, but that would be a beast of a laptop, remember reading somewhere that it broke 20k in 3dmark.
Like I said, I know next to nothing about laptops.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G51VX-X2A NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9600(2.80GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M - Laptops / Notebooks

That notebook is hella sexy and fast. Played on it a few times. I like it.
Closed Thread