advice on reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

acuariano

Baseband Member
hi guys...my sister gave me a dell latitude d600..nice laptop,old but.winxp-pro-sp1.
but she doesn't have the installation cd,and the disc with drivers.
i plan to wipe ansd reinstall.
-does any other winxp-cd would work?..for reinstallation

--..but what about the drivers....
..i was advice thta i can collect the drivers using "driver magician"..
any suggestions please.
thanks

Hello,

Yes, you can use another Windows XP installation disc to re-install the Operating System on your laptop, provided that it is the same edition (i.e. Professional). Also, make sure that you have the product key at hand.

hi...thanks for replies..
when i reinstall os ina dell desktop..it neever ask me for a product key..dell has the key enbedded in bios...guess in laptop is the same situation.

I think you'll find that that last post is incorrect. The reason you don't get asked for a product key when installing in that particular desktop, is because you're installing with a manufacturer's disc. They bypass that, and just skip straight to the activation later on in the installation process.

In my experience, when performing a fresh install on any Dell computer/laptop computer, I've always checked that there's a Service Tag number. I check on the Dell drivers website for my particular part of the world, and I download all of the drivers before I start. If you don't have a Service Tag (Merely a sticker affixed to the case of the machine), then just use the full product number, as printed on the base of the laptop. Then, any non-manufacturer disc will do the job. Once you've done the installation, you'll want to go through and install each of the drivers before you try to do anything. And, if you're using a legitimate copy of Windows, then activate it once your drivers are installed. Then you're free to do what you like, preferably downloading all the updates going.

thanks really..
so even if i reinstall the os to the lap with the dell xp-pro[desktop]..
will it work?..i have the service tag and serial..
thanks.

Dell's self activate if the installed version matches the version that came with the computer. The key is in the SLIC section in the bios. I reinstalled Vista Home Premium over 8 months ago and still have yet to enter a key.

i know the key is in the bios..
on my desktop..i even use another xp disc..it never asks me for the serial #
..but don't know for laptops...since this is the first one i have..

i need some advice on installations for a Toshiba sat pro 6100 for XP and is being a real pain. p4 256 ram ( but i have a gb for it) nivida graphics, and the reinstall just stops. and i let it sit and the dam thing just doses nothing. it has given one fatal error, and one or more components install. i have tried to repair first, and wipe and then complete reinstall and it just stops at the same point every time. but a few nights ago i took al the power and battery away and tell it sit over night and go further. but they my power to the house jumped and the dam thing is back to the way it was. any ideas at all let me know

Could i just Install a compeltelly different version of XP if i really wanted? This wont hamper anything will it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom