Advice on gaming laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triaz

Beta member
Ok, my pc has met the final death. Which isn't a big deal it was outdated and I was planning on a new one after the first of the year anyways. The thing is my new job has me in hotels a bit now days.

My original plan was a new gaming pc and a netbook for email/browsing on the road. Then I started looking at some budget model "gaming" laptops. I basically just play some HL source shooter mods right now like Day of Defeat :source. I would like to get into some newer shooters and I want something that will handle Guild Wars 2 when it arrives.

The 3 laptops im looking at are:

Acer Aspire AS7551G-582

ASUS Republic of Gamers G51JX-X3 Laptop

Any recommendations between these 3 (or any others)? Would like to stay around the $1,000 range or lower.Or should I just stick to my original plan of a pc and netbook? On the road gaming appeals to me. Would be a good way to break motel room boredom.

Thanks in advance,
Triaz

Your link labeled "Shopping Cart" isn't showing anything but an empty cart. I'm not really up on Laptops so I'm not qualified to give you a good recommendation. With that said I would go with the Asus model.

spec wise, i think i would get this
Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y560(0646-2EU) NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

but you say gaming on the road appeals to you, so you might be inclined to get something with a beefier battery
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q860 NoteBook Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
you get a 12 cell battery compared to lenovo's 6 cell, but the trade off is a a less powerful cpu (dual compared to the lenovo's quad) and a bit less powerful gfx card (gts 360m compared to the lenovo's 5730).

Asus comes with most accessories and is usually the best bang for the buck. G53 is best priced 15", G51 is amazing too. I owned one and loved it.

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward the Asus. Most of my on the road gaming will be in motel rooms and likely plugged in so battery life isn't that big of an issue.

Will the asus perform along the lines of a pc in the same price range? And when gaming at home will it run ok hooked up to my flat screen and speakers?

Thanks again,
Triaz

ASUS is par as far as price goes. Toshiba often punches better benchmarks. But for your range, yes, ASUS all the way!

Laptop vs Desktop is as this. With it's small size, it can not pump as much power as a desktop, would not have huge heatsinks to cool the CPU/GPU and overheat easily. But as long as you don't over-stress it, you'll be fine.
You can run external monitors and speakers on any laptop that has an out port. You will be fine.

Triaz- let us know which one you get and how it is working for you- I am also thinking about getting a new lappy that can game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom