Advice on casual gaming/work laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Advice on casual gaming/work laptop

I’m looking at buying a new laptop to use for work –word- and the odd bit of gaming. Although I hate the phrase, I am a ‘casual gamer’. I don’t need the fastest machine in the world, but would like to get games such as Empire Total War running at a reasonable setting. I was originally hoping to spend around 500 to 600 pounds but am not sure if I should spend a little bit more.

I was looking at this sort of thing, asus k40. What I’ve read online seems to suggest that it wont really be up to what I want, but it’s hard to tell if the reviewers are just comparing it to the performance of high end models and that, although it might not look fantastic, it would be capable of running what I want it to run. On the other hand, my mouse seems to be straying to more expensive models such as the asus F6VE

If the first one i mentioned is alright that's great, if you really think it would be worth spending quite a lot more then say so, or if there are similar laptops from some other companys i haven't conciderd yet it would be great if you point them out to me. Any other advice would be great. Thanks alot, Will.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble
Default Re: Advice on casual gaming/work laptop

Firstly, welcome to Tech Forums.

when it comes down to gaming laptops, you need to make sure that has a good video card.
Check out the list here
Check out any thing along the Class 2 Midrange Graphics Cards (if you can afford it) or Class 3 Low-Midrange Graphics Cards.

The other laptop company worth checking out is MSI.

When it comes down to gaming, I would not trust any thing with out a 2 year warranty and I have been plenty of laptop where the video card as died after 18 months or so. Main reason is that they do get hote.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 10-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Advice on casual gaming/work laptop

Thanks for the advice, I like the look of some of the MSI gaming laptops. I think i will wait a while and spend a bit more.

Closed Thread