acer vs. asus

Go for the acer that is the exact laptop that i bought and it runs metro 2033 on high settings at 1366x768 resolution at 35 fps and the nvidia optimus technology gives great battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Acer. The i5 in the Acer believe it or not will be faster in games. The 630 is also faster than the 610. In laptops, the more GPU horsepower you can get the better as those chips are slower than desktop counterparts as it is.

Go for the acer that is the exact laptop that i bought and it runs metro 2033 on high settings at 1366x768 resolution at 35 fps and the nvidia optimus technology gives great battery life.

Optimus is riddled with problems, from what I've seen/heard.

I'd go with the Asus. Bigger HDD, better processor, and IMHO the gaming performance will suck on both of them so you may as well go with the one with more overall under the hood. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
No offense TJ, but are you even looking at the specs of these parts? The CPUs are both 2nd gen SB with the same max turbo, where as the i5 is only 35w and the i7 45w.

The difference between the 610 and 630 is huge when gaming is involved. The 610 is almost comparable with HD4000 which as we all know, blows huge chunks.
48 cores and a 64bit bus connected to DDR3.
The 630 having 96 cores and a 128 bit bus. The difference in some numbers is 500-600 marks in 3dmark 11, which for laptop performance is huge.

To put this into desktop comparison terms the GT 510 has 48 cores and a 64bit wide bus.
The GT240, GT440 and GT530 all have 96 cores and a 128bit wide bus. In terms of performance on desktop that is one hell of a difference. If you think about how these cards game, it's all **** but I would rather game with a GT440 than a GT510.
I'm pretty sure the difference in GPU alone completely outweighs having a slightly bigger HDD and 2 more cores with HT that wont even really be used.
In game FPS, the difference is unplayable to playable at medium and high (depending on game).

No offense TJ, but are you even looking at the specs of these parts? The CPUs are both 2nd gen SB with the same max turbo, where as the i5 is only 35w and the i7 45w.

The difference between the 610 and 630 is huge when gaming is involved. The 610 is almost comparable with HD4000 which as we all know, blows huge chunks.
48 cores and a 64bit bus connected to DDR3.
The 630 having 96 cores and a 128 bit bus. The difference in some numbers is 500-600 marks in 3dmark 11, which for laptop performance is huge.

To put this into desktop comparison terms the GT 510 has 48 cores and a 64bit wide bus.
The GT240, GT440 and GT530 all have 96 cores and a 128bit wide bus. In terms of performance on desktop that is one hell of a difference. If you think about how these cards game, it's all **** but I would rather game with a GT440 than a GT510.
I'm pretty sure the difference in GPU alone completely outweighs having a slightly bigger HDD and 2 more cores with HT that wont even really be used.
In game FPS, the difference is unplayable to playable at medium and high (depending on game).

I was more or less going with some newer games running better with a quad core, and the fact that both of the GPUs are pretty bad so more processing power would be the way I would go. But I see your side of it.

The biggest differnce is the Acer has a 500Gig drive and an i5. The Asus has a 750Gig drive and an i7

The 630 vs 610 isn't huge, but the i7 vs i5 is.

As a rule of thumb i5 most certainly doesn't mean that it's inferior to an i7; it's all about the benchmark.

Acer computers keep my business afloat, and as a consequence I never recommend them for anything other than casually browsing the internet and listening to music.

As a rule of thumb i5 most certainly doesn't mean that it's inferior to an i7; it's all about the benchmark.

Acer computers keep my business afloat, and as a consequence I never recommend them for anything other than casually browsing the internet and listening to music.

That doesn't make any sense at all. If they keep your business afloat then you should recommend them for more. The name doesn't make a laptop or computer, the components inside do. An Alienware is a piece of junk if it has a P4, it doesn't make it awesome because you spent 3 grand on the name.

Back
Top Bottom