Acer Laptop Stops Powering Up- Wont Turn ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokemask

Beta member
i have an Acer 4420 laptop, which i have owned for a bit over 2 years. its never had problems before.
a month or 2 ago, i began to notice that the laptop stopped charging the battery-- the battery icon would tell me, plugged in, not charging, and would state the current power level. it decreased over the weeks, from 90something% down to 6%.
2 days ago, i powered it on, and the computer started up as normal. got to the home screen, and then shut off.
the laptop will no longer power up; when plugged in, there are no power indicator lights.

i used to leave my laptop plugged in a lot. i honestly did not know any better, until too late. my battery power lost life-- when i first bought it, it had 2 hours of life, on average. later, it would only have power for 40-60 minutes, and much later, it would not stay on longer than a few minutes.

once the battery stopped charging, and held fixed levels, it would not stay powered up at all with no power plug inserted.

another thing- my original power cord broke- a coworker order another for me, but it didnt fit right, so we spliced the cable-- this was over 6 months ago.

my questions- im trying to troubleshoot- could the obvious dead laptop battery be the culprit-- a friend told me that a laptop usually can power up with no battery, when plugged into a power source.

did i burn something out?
what can i check?

A laptop will power up on sheer wall power, without battery. The battery may be dying. If available, get a new battery. I got one off eBay a few months ago for my Dell. Just make sure they are a reputable seller. Look around to see what other people say about them. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom