acer laptop installed win xp need drivers i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

FISHERPERSON

Solid State Member
hello folks its me again.
i just upgraded my acer laptop extensa 4420-5963 to win xp pro sp2 from vista.
i did and long format and installed it on a raw hard drive on the acer.
i did found some of the drivers i needed for the upgrade, but some i cant find.
it says when i run a driver check:
mass storage controller
network controller
sm bus controller
has no drivers.
i have been searching all day for them.
could someone please point me in the right direction for them.
thank you.

Since you downgraded from Vista to XP there may not be drivers for those devices. While MOST individual products have drivers for both XP and Vista when purchased from individual manf., the laptop may have a lot of integrated things into the MB which the manf. specifically made for Vista. So you may never find those drivers for Vista.

You should try installing SP3 for XP, but that may not fix the missing driver issue.

If SP3 doesn't fix the driver issue i'd suggest reinstalling Vista.

Hello,

You can download Windows XP drivers for your laptop model at the Acer Service & Support website:

Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Extensa 4420

In particular, you'll find the LAN, WLAN and SMBUS drivers there. Note: that you yourself need to identify whether you have Broadcom or Atheros integrated wireless and install the correct drive accordingly (if you haven't installed your WLAN driver already).

You can also download and install the latest graphics driver (for integrated ATI Radeon X1250 grapics) if you haven't already done so:

Drivers & Tools | GAME.AMD.COM

I'd also advise installing Service Pack 3 as Lexluethar advised.

thanx got the sm bus controller completed.
just need to install the drivers for:
mass stoorage controller
network controller
b.t.w. what does these do in the system are they for game purposes or for something else inthe op system?

The mass storage controller is the SATA controller.

I know that doesn't give you the driver, but it can get you moving in the right direction.

follow this guide to get xp drivers.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-install-missing-drivers-182727/

with some newer laptop even this won't work. I the issue on a couple of driver. like coexant hd audio and conexant won't even make a driver available to the public. then and only then, you go to the website and download and install the vista driver. it will let you, vista block xp drivers but not the other way around

just wanted to say thanx to all that helped me. i got everything up and running. no probs or issues so far.
agin thank you for the help.

Hi fisherperson I have the same laptop I need the wireless driver, Do you can provide me? or tell me where I can found.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom