Acer Aspire Timeline - Gaming Problems

EthanM

Beta member
Hi guys

Firstly, I'm new to the forum so..hey :)

Secondly (and most importantly), I'm having a few issues with my new laptop Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3-581TG.

When I first got the laptop (Friday), I did a clean OS install. The Bloatware is a royal pain and slows down any mid level PC/Laptop. I then installed all of the drivers directly from the Acer and nvidia website...all is looking well.

I then installed Skyrim. I set the quality to high at native res (1366x768) and was getting around 50-60FPS (CoD MW3 was getting around 70 fps on high settings). I was thrilled to see that my little £500 laptop was running Skyrim on high settings. Anyway...I digress. I booted the laptop up earlier and I'm now unable to play the game on high and get around 20FPS on low settings.

What the frick is going on? I've checked nvidia control panel to make sure I'm using the GPU instead of the graphics accelerator when playing games. Do you think it has something to do with running on battery and not being connected to the mains? I'm pulling my hair out and concerned that...*wipes away tears* the GPU has kicked the bucket.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan

Edit: System Spec

Intel Core i5-2467UM Dual Core Processor
15.6" HD Screen
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
DVD Rewriter
Dedicated GT 640M Graphics

Last edited:
Let's hope that the GPU is fine. Make sure that the laptop is getting good airflow and on a flat hard surface. Laptops actually tend to have many problems when used on a lap due to a lap being soft (suffocating air circulation) and warm. Both of these things are very bad for a computer, especially a small compact one with minimal thermal dissipation like most laptops tend to be.
Check your temps with something like HWMonitor after running a game for 30 or so minutes.
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Back
Top Bottom