Access locked directory on external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamlaw

Beta member
Hi,

My laptop died over Christmas, and no longer booted up. It suffered from a common fault in the power supply and motherboard.

So I now share my wife's laptop. I've purchased a USB caddy for the hard drive from my laptop so that I can access the files on it.

However, I cannot access the "My Documents" section on my old drive, as my admin user account was locked with a password. I know the password, but do not know how I can access the files.

Does anyone know how I could unlock the directory, or know how I can use my old account password to get in?

I have tried creating a new admin account with the same name as on my old machine, but it did not work.

I tried going into the Bios and changing the boot order, but Windows wouldn't start. It keeps going back to a screen asking if i want to start in safe mode, start normally, etc.

Both hard drives are XP, the old laptop that no longer functions is an Advent, and the god one I'm on now is a Compaq. Not sure what other info might be useful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James.

Run a live cd of linux and copy the stuff out of my documents into another folder. I've found puppy linux to be good for this as it is small and supports NTFS.

Thanks guys!

I had searched the help files and seen how to take owneship, but msised the fact that it was simple sharing, which was why I wasn't seeing the prper ownershp tab!

I've also downloaded a live CD, so once I've got hold of a CD I'll burn it and give it a go, see what the fuss is all about.

Thanks for the help!

James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom