Alright guys I've got a Compaq CQ61, the I accidentally broke the pin of my last adapter so I bought a new one today. It fully charged the battery but then suddenly died on me. I picked up the adapter to check it hadn't come loose and it was flaming hot. Now whenever I reinsert it, the battery does not charge and it becomes boiling hot within a couple of minutes. My fans etc seem to running perfectly normal and the computer itself is at a comfortable heat.
I've the voltage etc of my new adapter and its the same as the old one.
I was just wondering what you thought it might be? A bad battery? The power connection on the laptop seems fine.
Thanks for any help/suggestions