ABS G3 A45 Laptop - What is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I'm trying to sell my laptop, partly because it's around 3 years old. I have it listed on ebay, but I'm not sure if I'm getting ripped off on it since I paid $1,500... It is a great laptop, plays games well (Radeon 9700).THREE years ago. Someone offered me $450 for it. I don't know what to do, partly because I do need a laptop but I want to downsize (fast, but smaller). You see, I'm doing webdesigns, custom programming, and custom software for people and I have to actually use my laptop to go to THEM and show them how do use my software, or give them concepts and what not. So what I want is a very (much cheaper) good laptop, that can be used as this. So what would you sell this laptop as? This is my highest bid I ever gotten, if you're interested I can give you a link to Ebay to place your bid.

Here are the specs:
Brand ABS
Series MAYHEM
Model Mayhem G3 A45
General
Operating System Windows XP Professional
CPU Type 1 x Athlon 64 3400+
Screen 15.4" WXGA TFT
Memory Size 1GB
Hard Disk 100GB
Optical Drive DVD±R/RW Dtive
Graphics Card ATI Mobility RADEON 9700
Video Memory Dedicated 128MB
Communication Modem, LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1x Type I/II PC Card Slot
Dimensions 14.1"x10.6"x1.44"(WxDxH)
Weight 7.7lbs
CPU
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64
CPU Speed 3400+
CPU L2 Cache 1MB
Chipset
Chipset SiS 755 + SiS SB 963L
Display
Screen Size 15.4"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide XGA
Resolution 1280 x 800
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows XP Professional
Graphics
GPU/VPU ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Video Memory Dedicated 128MB
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HD Capacity 100GB
HD RPM 5400rpm
Memory
Memory Slots 2 x DIMM
Memory Speed DDR400
Memory Size 1GB
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD±R/RW
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Optical Drive Spec 8 X DVD+R/4X DVD+RW/4X DVD-R/2X DVD-RW Writing
24 X CD-R/24 X CD-RW Writing
8X DVD/24X CD Reading
Communications
Modem 56K
LAN 10/100Mbps
WLAN IEEE 802.11a/b/g up to 54Mbps
IRDA IrDA
Ports
Card Slot 1x Type I/II PC Card Slot
USB 3
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x S-Video TV-out
LPT 1
Audio Ports 1 Mic-in jack, 1 Headphone jack
Audio
Audio 3D Audio AC'97 V2.3 compliant
Speaker Internal Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard Keyboard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 3-in-1 card reader (MMC / SD / Memory Stick)
Power
AC Adapter 160 watt Universal AC adapter
Battery 8-Cells 4400mAh Li-ion standard
Physical spec
Dimensions 14.1"x10.6"x1.44"(WxDxH)
Weight 7.7lbs

$450 is about right. That laptop is very low grade compared to specs you can get for $600 or so now.

So you say that's a good deal (for me)? I wanna get the HP TX series. But one that's really small that I can use for work and watching movies. I really didn't play games on my laptop anyhow. Laptop+games = suckage

IMO yes that is a fair deal. The laptop is older. 3 years in PC time is quite a lot. With laptops now that come with Core 2 Duos and jsut about the rest of the specs the same sellign for $600-$900 dependign on the other configs.

I would honestly say that $450 is a good price to get for that laptop.

That's a good deal. I sold the same model to some one for $500 about 1 year ago. $450 is a little more than it's worth imo so if some one is offering then sell it by all means. I don't think you can do any better than $450.

Well someone did it buy it now for $600. So I was excited. Got a e-mail from ebay today, said my auction was closed and the user account that placed the bid was unauthorized.

The person that made the bid sent me a fake paypal e-mail:
PayPal

Protect Your Account Info
Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL ( https://www.paypal.com/row/) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review our Security Tips at https://www..paypal.com/row /securitytips
Protect Your Password
You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

You've got new funds!

Dear mackrox,

Akinola Lily has sent you an instant payment using PayPal.

Akinola Lily is a Verified buyer.

Payment Details
Amount: US $800.00
Postage & Packing: Included
Transaction ID:
5Y758872CS5622206
Item Description:
Shipping Option:
ABS G3 A45 Laptop - Great gaming laptop! (130222149964)
USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS MAIL SERVICE 3-5days
Pay With PayPal PayPal makes it easy to send money.

Visa MasterCard American Express Switch and Maestro Visa Delta Visa Electron
For security purposes, you may want to email the buyer and receive confirmation of the buyer's email and shipping address before you send the item paid for.

Delivery Information
Address:

Samuel Anifowose
No 19 Ogunwale Street, Felele,
Ibadan
Oyo-State
Nigeria
+2348069048090

Address Status: Confirmed

Important Note : The funds has been deducted from the Buyer's Paypal Account and has been " APPROVED" and it will be credited into your account immediately after the Shipment is Verified .Get back to us with the " SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER " of the postage so as to secure both inequalities (Buyer & Seller) from online fraudulent activities and the money will be credited into your paypal account. You will have to email us the tracking number to our Customer Protection Department at (pp5.sendingspoofmail@accountant.com) for instant verification.

Due to the fact that Paypal processes thousands of orders daily, Paypal recommends you contacting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt transfer of the funds to your account. Send all your question regarding this transaction to the PayPal Customer Care at:pp5.sendingspoofmail@accountant.com As soon as we receive the " SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER " from you, you will receive a " CONFIRMATION EMAIL" concerning the accreditation of the funds into your PayPal Account and we shall get the funds credited into your PayPal Account within 24 hours.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, you can contact our customer care service at:pp5.sendingspoofmail@accountant.com

PayPal and eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.
PayPal (Worldwide) Ltd is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United States as an electronic money institution.
PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056

PayPal Email ID PP307

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
A Smarter Email.

The best part:
Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
A Smarter Email.

This is #2 fraud attempt. The confirmed address was in the UK, and they sent me this e-mail (the fraudster):

Hi Seller,

I am sorry for getting to you late, its due to that i am so busy on a business trip and I have made the payment for your item won on ebay and i have received the receipt upon payment from PayPal. and kindly note this i want the item shipped thru USPS global express mail 3-5days, cos i have already add enough fund for that and pls dont send the item to my ebay address cos i have the Nigeria address confirmed by paypal already so do not send to the ebay address cos i am not around i am away for a business trip and wont be back for now, pls note what i tell you So kindly get the item shipped as i need to let my finance know about this so he can be expecting the item as i have promised him. so i love to hear frm you soon.

Here is the shipping address again

Samuel Anifowose
No 19 Ogunwale Street, Felele,
Ibadan
Oyo-State
Nigeria
+2348069048090

The best part. I didn't even send a invoice yet. Haha people are so stupid. Sad part is someone will fall for it and get ripped off.

That's the stuff people fall for all the time. Forward that all to ebay and paypal's fraud departments, they'll let you relist for free and all. Selling laptops on ebay is tricky business because so many frauds like this occur. You've got to specify in the description that you won't ship out of country.

I kinda enjoy it, lol. They sent me another fake e-mail:

PayPal

Dear Valued Customer,

One of the benefits of using PayPal is that we make every effort to alert you to potentially problematic transactions. Our goal is to help you make sound business decisions.

A review of recent transactions indicates that you entered into bidding agreement with Akinola Lily (jandenwyatt) by requesting money through PayPal, which shows that the PayPal account holder have authorized the payment you received.

We would like to learn more about this transaction. It is important we know the status of the item bought concerning the information we requested from you, otherwise, legal action may be taken against you since you have not replied to the confirmation of payment made to your account by Akinola Lily (jandenwyatt) over time.

However the buyer has already contacted us in other to make report about your non response. We are ensuring to make PayPal a safer place, therefore we need to set confidence on our users. We use proprietary technology - and constantly innovation - to help ensure every transactions are safe.

We strongly advise that you to ship the item and send the Scanned Receipt and the Tracking Number to proof postage of the item in less than 24hours so that we can fund the money into your account or face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION.

We have placed a temporary hold on the funds until the verification is complete.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Buyer eBay id: jandenwyatt
Case Number: PP-304-718-247
Buyer's Name: Akinola Lily
Buyer's Email: seanivey121@yahoo.com
Response deadline: 05/20/2008

Sincerely,
PayPal Fraud Team

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
A Smarter Email.