a8 quad core with 7670m vs i5 with 7670m - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default a8 quad core with 7670m vs i5 with 7670m

Im looking to buy a new laptop which i will use for gaming, some programming, movies, internet etc..
I have shortlisted two hp models which fall within my budget and am unable to decide!

Both essentially have the same specs except for their cpu

Choice 1:
cpu: amd a8 4500m (7640g igc)
gpu: amd radeon hd 7670m 1gb

Choice2:
cpu: intel i5 2450m
gpu: amd radeon hd 7670m

Now, i know the i5 outstrips the a8 based on raw power but i'm not going to be using the laptop for any intensive tasks other than some gaming and in choice 1 i can use crossfire to run both the 7640g+7670m. So i was wondering whether the crossfire setup would perform better while playing games compared to the i5 with just the 7670m. I've checked out a few forums and read that crossfire driver support isn't great and is quite buggy. But some of these threads were over a year old! That being said, I've also come across quite a number of driver updates and profiles that amd has come out with to address these issues.

Considering all of this, which one do you think i should go for??

R4Zi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: a8 quad core with 7670m vs i5 with 7670m

What HP models are these? Because HP is frowned upon here. We just had too many problems with them. Look at an ASUS Zenbook or something.

As for the CPU, games can't use more than 2 cores anyway, so you are wasting 6 cores for games. It's not very plausible.

The crossfire bit, I would advise against doing it on a laptop. You will have immense heat problems. Leave crossfire/SLI to desktops.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: a8 quad core with 7670m vs i5 with 7670m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
What HP models are these? Because HP is frowned upon here. We just had too many problems with them. Look at an ASUS Zenbook or something.

As for the CPU, games can't use more than 2 cores anyway, so you are wasting 6 cores for games. It's not very plausible.

The crossfire bit, I would advise against doing it on a laptop. You will have immense heat problems. Leave crossfire/SLI to desktops.
Okay, i've done a little reading up and based on that and your advice have decided to go with the i5.

They are both variants of the HP g6. I have read that some users are experiencing heating issues and such. But i also know quite a few people who own HPs and are quite happy with them. My other option is the lenovo z570 which basically has the same specs except for its gpu. The lenovo comes with a nvidia gt 540m. The 7670m is a more powerful card so im leaning towards the HP. What do you think?
R4Zi1 is offline   Reply With Quote