3 Questions! Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
I'll start off first explaining myself. I need to hook my Xbox 360 up to my PC through a Sata port. Not a problem on my desktop except for the fact it's a Vista 64 bit system. In order to run the programs I need Vista 32 bit.

So I thought about it and decided I'd try to install Windows Vista 32bit on a USB 500GIG External Drive. I read a lot of mixed opinions on the idea. Some say it's not possible while others say it is. I found one tutorial, but it's dated back to Dec 2005... Does anyone have an up to date tutorial on how to install it?

Next, I can completely ignore the above situation if my laptop has a regular sata port. I have no clue if it does to be honest. I know it uses a sata hard drive. However is there any ports to hook up a regular sata cable?

3rd option is to install Windows Vista 32bit on my desktop using a partition? I'm going to be honest I've never gone this route so I don't have a clue how to set one up to install the separate operating system. (However I do have extensive computer knowledge so I'm sure I'd follow anything easily) If anyone knows of a tutorial for this idea I could do this instead.

Thanks again!

Look at the motherboards boot options, see if it lists USB devices or USB HDD or External HDD, if so, shut down, remove all internal hard drives and setup vista 32bit on that usb drive... But a laptop using a SATA HDD/CD drive will only have the SATA port for that actual device, most laptops wont even have a SATA cd drive, but an older IDE one.

Run the programs in compatibility mode.... right click< properties< compatibility < run this program in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 2< might aswell give it admin priviledges if yo trust it < now double click the little admin warning will come up click yes and your in the program in 32 environment.

For setting up a partition idea windows doesn't like to have its partitioning changed once its setup there are mixed views on it, I have personally done it several times without issue but I backed up the drive entirely so if something went wrong I was one click away to square one again. I would use gparted to partition the drive then install as normal through the windows installer just select drive D instead of drive C in the windows install menu, top tip remember how big the empty partition is so that you can 100% identify it in the windows install utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom