$2400 for $1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the rest of the specs, the Alienware M11x is the size of a netbook with top notch battery life. That Acer is several times the size and only has a fraction of the battery life.

I normally don't recommend Alienware either but the M1xx is a very good buy. You would be hard pressed to find another sub 13" 4.5lb ultraportable with hybrid graphics and excellent battery life for under $1k. You should really look for viable alternatives before dismissing something as overpriced.

The fact remains that an 11 inch screen is nearly useless for gaming purposes. Battery life is nice, but how many people do you know actually full out game without their laptop being plugged in?

If you want the portability, you get a netbook. If you want a powerhouse desktop replacement for gaming, you don't. Simple as that. And the only specs on that machine that are even the least bit appealing would be the battery life and the hybrid graphics. Though at the same time, it's nowhere near enough to warrant shelling out 800 bucks for something that's still going to be a pitiful gaming experience, and you're left with other specs that are nearly crippled in comparison to something like the Acer for the same price.

Look to the facts, not to the name.

I do look at that facts. And the facts clearly state that there are much better ways of spending 800 dollars on a laptop. If you are looking to game, you get a larger screen with an adequate processor. If you are looking for portability and great battery life, you get a smaller laptop/netbook that isn't a powerhouse to save on cost. This M11x has an identity crisis going on, it can't figure out if it wants someone to game or to conveniently do homework at a cafe.

If you can honestly say you wouldn't mind "seriously gaming" on an 11 inch screen...sacrificing resolution and performance for a longer battery life...then I guess it's the perfect laptop for you.

The fact remains that an 11 inch screen is nearly useless for gaming purposes. Battery life is nice, but how many people do you know actually full out game without their laptop being plugged in?

<----- Raises hand. Granted my current laptop isn't exactly built for gaming but if I had a system that was capable I would absolutely make use of it.

If you want the portability, you get a netbook. If you want a powerhouse desktop replacement for gaming, you don't. Simple as that. And the only specs on that machine that are even the least bit appealing would be the battery life and the hybrid graphics. Though at the same time, it's nowhere near enough to warrant shelling out 800 bucks for something that's still going to be a pitiful gaming experience, and you're left with other specs that are nearly crippled in comparison to something like the Acer for the same price.

So what should I do if I need a portable laptop but would like to be able to play some games as well? Using your approach I would have to carry around a bloated pos like that Acer just to have the option to game from time to time. As someone who bought a ~6lb laptop with miserable battery life with the hope of being able to use it as more than a desktop with a crappy built in screen I can assure you that is a mistake I will never make again. Also since when have we recommended Acer? Sure the specs are decent but last time I looked they weren't exactly known for their build quality.

I do look at that facts. And the facts clearly state that there are much better ways of spending 800 dollars on a laptop. If you are looking to game, you get a larger screen with an adequate processor. If you are looking for portability and great battery life, you get a smaller laptop/netbook that isn't a powerhouse to save on cost. This M11x has an identity crisis going on, it can't figure out if it wants someone to game or to conveniently do homework at a cafe.

Everyone doesn't share your opinion about what a laptop should be. If I had that acer I doubt I would ever use it. It's slower than my desktop and has a inferior screen so I would never use it at home and it's to heavy and has to little battery life to use it anywhere else.

The whole point of the M11x is being able to work on the go while still having the option to game. Heck if you wanted to you could even game on the go pretty easily. I can think of plenty of times when I have had an hour or two to kill when it would have been nice to fire up a couple of rounds of COD4 or BF2 without having to go searching for an outlet like you would with the Acer.

If you can honestly say you wouldn't mind "seriously gaming" on an 11 inch screen...sacrificing resolution and performance for a longer battery life...then I guess it's the perfect laptop for you.

I would have no problem taking the M11x to a LAN party and playing SOASE on it for 7 hours. Obviously it wouldn't be as good of a experience as playing on my desktop but then again the Acer wouldn't be either.

I agree with you completely.

I have an 11.6" netbook, and the screen (1366x768) is great for gaming (though the best it can manage is Quake III: Arena :p) - I'd love to have the same thing but with greater power. Ntm, it actually has better battery life than my netbook!

My only gripe would be the small arrow keys mentioned in reviews - I've gotten used to them on my netbook but with "proper" gaming it would become annoying.

Im getting one at the end of the year. If i had to get one now, ive seen an Acer which is perfect for me.

14" LED Screen, Thin Chassis
Core i5 2.26GHZ
4GB RAM
ATI 5650 1GB Video
500GB HDD
+ 8 Hours Battery Life.

Im getting one at the end of the year. If i had to get one now, ive seen an Acer which is perfect for me.

14" LED Screen, Thin Chassis
Core i5 2.26GHZ
4GB RAM
ATI 5650 1GB Video
500GB HDD
+ 8 Hours Battery Life.

Can you give the model name of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom