2.53 GHz Intel Core i3-380M or 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom II N660?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hello guys,

I'm new to AMD processors, but came across 2 similarly priced laptops, one with a 2.53 GHz i3-380m, and one with a 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom II N660. Which processor would you guys say is faster and better?

Here are the 2 laptops; which one do you think is a better buy and would advise me to go for?

Amazon.com: Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4106 14.0-Inch Laptop - Grey: Computer & Accessories

Amazon.com: Toshiba Satellite M645-S4112 14.0-Inch LED Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories

EDIT: The AMD one has more HD (640 GB vs 500 GB), and an ATI Radeon graphics card (which I would think is better than the intel graphics?), but the Intel one has harmon kardon speakers, and a 5h39 min battery (vs 3h30; which I think is one good point in favor of the Intel one). But still, knowing which processor is better might swing my choice one way or the other. But I may be wrong.

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks!!

The i3 one gets two hours extra battery life, so I'd go with that regardless of performance differences (there's is much of a difference, btw).

Thanks for your reply...

I went on to edit my initial post, and yes as i posted I think the 2 hours extra battery time is a good point in favor of the intel one. But I'm still curious about the processors...which is better..and by how much... (Also, same thing with the graphics card; i think the AMD one is better, but I'm no expert...?).

I just might go for the AMD one and sacrifice 2 hours of battery life if I'm gaining a significantly better processor, significantly better graphics card, and a larger HDD..

Yeah, I'd go with the i3, it saves battery life.

The two cards are well, matched, but the i3 is your better choice. Looking at a CPU benchmarks, the i3 is #53, the AMD is #72. Lower the better.

edit: d*** you, Yami!!

lol, Amazon fail:
Processor: 3 hertz Phenom Dual-Core
Just a sec, will edit with CPU and GPU comparison links.

Edit
Compared to current Intel Core-i processors, the Phenom II N660 is only as fast as an entry level Core i3-370M in synthetic benchmarks.
Source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Phenom-II-X2-N660-Notebook-Processor.44106.0.html
The i3 is faster, and gives you better battery life.

There isn't any mention of the GPU on either Amazon page, so chances are the GPU is integrated, and thus they'll be pretty similar.

This particular site says
the Phenom II N660 powering it is the fastest "non-extreme" dual-core mobile processor AMD offers, and Toshiba packs it into a 14" chassis instead of the 15.6" ones we've become accustomed to

Source: Toshiba Satellite L645D: Mobile AMD at 3GHz - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

What do you mean there's no mention of either GPU?

ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics card provides exceptional features, performance and power-efficiencies that enrich what you see and do (256 MB - 1917 MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory).

Intel HD Graphics with 64 MB - 1696 MB dynamically allocated shared graphic memory.

Appreciate your replies guys...

On the Amazon page, as far as I could see. The ATI GPU is drastically better, btw.

I thought so.

So the Intel one would be the better buy? (a $40 difference should be factored in, though).

Slightly? or significantly? better processor (not sure), significantly better battery life, harmon kardon speakers, $40 more expensive

VS

$40 cheaper, significantly better graphics card, slightly higher HDD, significantly/slightly slower processor.

Taking all these factors into consideration, what would you say?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom