1.3mega pixel built-in webcam? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default 1.3mega pixel built-in webcam?

My brand new Systemax laptop with Windows XP just arrived via UPS from the new CompUSA. It has a built-in 1.3 mega pixel webcam. However, the picture quality seems to leave a lot to be desired .

My wife and I were at the actual CompUSA store a week ago and we looked at a Lenova with a 1.3 mega pixel webcam. The camera was on and the picture was awesome. Very crisp and clear kinda like a digital camera picture.

I had high hopes that mine was going to be just as good when it was delivered to my house. I'm very disappointed. My cheap, Microsoft VX3000 webcam has a better picture .

Was the Lenova "special" or does it sound like my Systemax has a problem?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: 1.3mega pixel built-in webcam?

Can you post a sample picture?

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Could be a driver issue. But i would think it is a"special" product used to save $$ on the cost of the laptop.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Could also be the settings you're using. In VLC, I can use my HP dv9700t's webcam at different resolutions. If it runs at 320x240, it looks pretty bad, if I turn it up to 640x480, it looks crisp and clear. Try changing the settings first, but then again, not all systems use the same camera. Just because they all have 1.3MP cameras doesn't mean all the cameras are the same, one system may have a better camera than the other.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
Can you post a sample picture?
I'll try to see if I can figure out how to do this. I've got family in town so time is at a premium.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
Could also be the settings you're using. In VLC, I can use my HP dv9700t's webcam at different resolutions. If it runs at 320x240, it looks pretty bad, if I turn it up to 640x480, it looks crisp and clear. Try changing the settings first, but then again, not all systems use the same camera. Just because they all have 1.3MP cameras doesn't mean all the cameras are the same, one system may have a better camera than the other.
This is what I was thinking. The settings have to be in this laptop somewhere but I can't find them. I went into the control panel and clicked on "scanners and cameras." It brought up my webcam as a "USB Video device." If I open it, it opens up a wizard to copy pictures from the camera to the computer. It doesn't allow or give any options for changing camera settings.

Last night, I called Systemax tech support and the lady on the line didn't know anything about the camera. She did take my information and said that she'd research it and call me back after 24 hrs. She didn't make me feel confident at all ! It sounded almost like she didn't even know that some of these laptops come with a built in webcam!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

She probably didn't...I mean, does tech support really mean they need to know what they're talking about? Not really, not in today's world anyways.

Try using a program that uses the camera (a video recording or picture editing program should allow you to use the camera as a capture device). This way you should be able to change the settings.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
She probably didn't...I mean, does tech support really mean they need to know what they're talking about? Not really, not in today's world anyways.

Try using a program that uses the camera (a video recording or picture editing program should allow you to use the camera as a capture device). This way you should be able to change the settings.
She didn't sound like she had a clue as to what I was talking about.

What program should I use? Is there something that I could download free just so I could try to adjust the settings of this webcam?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was able to use my camera's video in VLC Media Player and DScaler, I don't know what you'd use to take pictures (mine doesn't show up as a TWAIN source for image editing apps, but you can try Gimp or IrfanView to see if yours does). All of those are free and should have configuration settings.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Yek
T.F's Resident Cool Guy...

Send a message via AIM to Yek Send a message via MSN to Yek Send a message via Yahoo to Yek

AmCap is free so give that a whirl. I'm thinking the one on show was somehow different.

Closed Thread