Your regrets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
What have been your biggest regrets in terms of building your rig?

From the current build I have, there's several:

I wish I didn't get the Antec 900 - because I was hoping for more space compared to the NZXT Apollo, but I was proven wrong. It's just a very hard case to work with, particularly for wire management. I think I would've prefered a Lexa Blackline or something like that

I regret my GTS 512 too, for a couple of reasons. I bought it for $340 at the time, when it first came out. I eventually volt-modded the card anyway and I replaced the cooler with an Accelero S1, so I should've just gone for a GT in the first place and saved myself almost $100... plus, I think the GT would have less confusion in reselling it because the average joe will get confused with the 640MB/320MB versions, and whatnot

Another thing is my B3 Q6600... when I ordered, I could've sent it back to hopefully get a G0 but I didn't feel like waiting..

Also my DS3L holds me back in overclocking quite a bit, although for $80 I've been pretty impressed with it, I've only decided now that I want a Max Form

My X-230 speakers - I really could've inquired about getting a better set of speakers, I'm not impressed with these ones at all and I think I could've made a better choice

last thing was my TRUE... came in really deformed (convex) for the money I spent, I think I should've put in a little more and gotten a water cooling kit

What about you guys?

I wish I wouldn't have bought the 8800GT 256MB at $209. It was last year, and when they were first released. Don't ever buy when stuff is first released. And now it's being sold for $125 shipped.

I wish I hadn't bought DDR2, when prices were sky high. Paid $260 for 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 Corsair XM2 at only CAS5. That was around January '07. Still have them though, for backup.

I sort of wished I shouldn't have sold my Tracers.

That's about it I guess, for my computers.

I regret relying on my old man's friends for help when building my last comp. anded me an overpriced psu and motherboard using some also very expensive ddr400 which ended up not even being compatible. Fast forward like 6 months and I landed a sweet deal on a C2D setup and finally had my rig up and running. Do the research yourself, don't rely on a group of wanna-be computer gurus!

I wish I hadn't bought DDR2, when prices were sky high. Paid $260 for 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 Corsair XM2 at only CAS5. That was around January '07. Still have them though, for backup.

same here LOL! DDR2 now at 1/5 of the price lol!

Merkwürdigliebe said:
I wish I didn't get the Antec 900

Ditto! everyone seemed to like this case
and sure it does push a LOT of air through the case
but after getting it doesn't seem like all that
especially for a newb builder like me, no wire management whatsoever!

I regret buying my P5K Deluxe. I got an awesome deal on it and it's an amazing overclocker, but I've just bought another 3850pro for crossfire and really should have just gone for a X38 board first.

Oh well...we'll see how much I'm bottlenecked by the 2nd 4x PCI-E slot....my next upgrade will be the motherboard for sure.

My only regret is not keeping my original GT setup that i paid 230 each for. I'm rectifying the regret of buying 2 GTS512's for 359 by stepping up to the GX2 :)

I regret buying my first processor when I did. It wasn't that great, but I was impatient and wanted to get my first build running. The price dropped almost $100 in less than 2 months.

Also, my first case. I didn't really have any idea what I was supposed to look for. So I bought something that I thought looked cool- terrible idea. The case was cramped, had one fan slot, and pretty much just sucked all the way around. I still have it though, haha, it's in my closet.

I wish I hadn't bought DDR2, when prices were sky high. Paid $260 for 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 Corsair XM2 at only CAS5.

I did that, too. My sticks were around $100 apiece when I bought them. I actually saw them for $13 apiece after a MIR a couple of months ago. Those prices plummeted within a few months of my purchase.

Mine:

The PSU I did. Nobody had a problem with it when I posted a list here, so I went with it (700w GameXStream). Now, I see people saying it's got ripples/fairly unstable; and it's not modular so it's bad with the Antec 900 (I don't regret this, however; I love this case).

When I got the 8800GTS 320mb. If I woulda waited a few more months, I coulda got the GT, which performed better, for the same price...

Those are really my only regrets with this build; otherwise I'm quite happy. Maybe if I woulda gotten a q6600 instead of an e6750, but that's not as big of a regret, b/c I still think this cpu is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom