yet anhother RAM question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to TeLeMuNdO!
Default yet anhother RAM question

building athlong 64 gaming machine, high end games, yada yada yada....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-465&depa=0

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-470&depa=0

whats the difference between registered and unbuffered RAM?

Old 05-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't know exactly, but I do know that the FX series only takes registered DIMM's

<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">Desktop: 3.0ghz HT 800fsb P4, Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, 2x 512mb GEIL Dual Channel DDR400, 80gb 7200rpm ATA HD, Sapphire X800 XT Platinum Edition, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 THX Speakers, Turbolink 420watt PSU, Black 19\" Orion Monitor, Logitech MX Duo and Win XP Home</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">My Wishlist: 74gb 10K SATA Western Digital Raptor...</marquee>
Old 05-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Are you looking to overclock or keep it stock?? If you are not overclocking then you may wish to look at a few other places before making a final descision. If you need dual channel memory you do not have to buy them in pairs unless it is cheaper that way. Just buy two modules at the same time and they will work.
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to TeLeMuNdO!

i don't plan on overclocking, and i'd probably jsut by a pack of two for convenience.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Get the registered memory, it is better
Old 05-26-2004, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally posted by CrucialLabs
If you need dual channel memory you do not have to buy them in pairs unless it is cheaper that way. Just buy two modules at the same time and they will work.
actually "dual channel" requires two sticks of RAM to work; dual channel works with each RAM stick running on its own independant bus, so data can be sent to and from both RAM sticks quicker than with just 1
so if you had 2xDDR400 sticks you'd have a total of 2x400MHZ or 800MHZ total bus speed

yes it is true, the Athlon 64 FX's require registered memory to run

this is taken from http://www.ocsystem.com/whatunandbuf.html
Quote:
In unbuffered memory, the chipset controller deals directly with the memory. There is nothing between the chipset and the memory as they communicate. Buffered modules contain a buffer to help the chipset cope with the large electrical load required when the system has a lot of memory. Registered modules are unbuffered modules that contain a register that delays all information transferred to the module by one clock cycle. Buffered and registered modules are typically used only in servers and other mission-critical systems where it is extremely important that the data is properly handled.
this means that registered memory is a little slower, but generally make the computer more stable