Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-200 as PC speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
Uhh, this might seem like a weird question, but I have a Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-200, and honestly noticed the good quality of the speakers built into it. I was wondering if I could find a MIDI to USB cable and then configure windows to use the Keyboard as the primary sound output device? Can I use the keyboard to playback audio from the PC?

Was hoping to use some half decent speakers to listen to some music on, since my pc speakers are atrocious (15 dollars).

Is this even possible? And if so, could I grab the cable from radio shack for under 20 dollars? Thanks.

This won't work. MIDI is quite a different sound mechanism and language. It actually doesn't send any "sound" information per say. It sends a type of binary explaining what note was struck and how hard. Your keyboard probably doesn't have the equipment to decode midi only encode and send. If it could decode you would most likely get a distorted sound based on the keyboards current voice setting trying to play back the notes it's reading in short it'd sound like awful nonsense.

Not to mention that real MIDI to usb cables run for $30+. SO sadly buying a relatively cheap set of speakers would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom