XP Won't boot after SATA drive added

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren

Solid State Member
Hi
I've just added a Seagate SATA drive thru a silicon controller PCI card.
The card drivers are OK but XP does not boot when the sata drive is plugged in.
If I take out the cable XP will boot - then i can plug it back in and the drive is there.
I have a dual boot XP and 98SE - win 98 works fine but i cannot boot from my original IDE drive where XP resides.

The boot menu in bios points to the ide drive and nothing else but the pci based sata drive is where it tries to boot from every time.

Any help much appreciated.

Darren

Asus P4PE
Silicon SATA PCI card
Seagate Barracuda 160gb SATA drive

Hmm.. Have u checked the boot sequence .. is it that the SATA drive has first priority ..

I don't have a good idea 'bout Sata cards .. so i'm not really sure 'bout this ..

Does the PCI card have any jumpers ..to override the boot sequence ?

sounds like you have the boot order wrong as preet says. what is the hard disk connected as where winXP is installed (primary as master/ slave, secondary as master/ slave) ?

what is your exact boot sequence including which hard disk is set to boot (IDE0, IDE1, IDE2, IDE3. . . . )?

my (bios) boot sequence has only one entry. That is the ide drive that XP is on. It is a primary slave. I have 98 on the primary master.
The boot.ini files is also on the 98 drive as it's the first one.
It seems that the SATA on the PCI card takes priority over the boot sequence in bios.

i think i understand the problem now. i think you have some operating system on the SATA drive and this partition is set as the boot partition or set as active partition. when the SATA drive is plugged in what operating system boots and from which hard disk (primary, secondary master/ slave) or does it just hang?

no not quite
IDE 1 master = Win XP
IDE 1 slave = Win 98
IDE 2 master = dvd
IDE2 slave = CD
SATA PCI card with SATA drive - no OS storage only

Prior to installing the SATA I could choose 98 or XP from the boot menu.
since installing the SATA drive I cannot boot into XP only 98.
As soon as I select XP from the boot menu system hangs for a while then reeboots.
If I unplug the SATA drive all works fine as before - i can hot plug the SATA drive back in once booting has begun from the correct IDE drive.
The PCI SATA seems to take priority over the boot sequence in bios (which is set to boot from the correct ide drive)

Thanks
Darren

problem may be that the Boot.ini doesn't know where to find the Hdd with the Sata drive coming into play. I'm not certain, but I think that the Sata drive takes a higher priority reguardless of the Bios set, as the Serial card has it's own IO controller. You may have to reconfigure the boot.ini to locate the xp drive a little differently. or, take out the win98 entry and see if the XP drive will be found. Or better yet, just post the boot.ini that you are using so we can have a look.
This is something that you normally only see with scsi controllers. They will override the onboard IDE's due to them posting after the mobo. This is what I have experienced at least.
My 2 Cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom