xp upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

In Runtime
hi all at the moment i have xp home on my computer it was installed on my hardrive when i got it but i have a xp pro disc i want to put on ,is it easy enough to just upgrade from home to pro as i dont want to reformat my comp cheers mlr

You will want to reformat your computer. An upgraded version of the OS will always have problems, plus, you system bootup time will be tremendously long if you upgrade from home to pro. I speak from experience. Definately reformat your system.

beedubaya said:
An upgraded version of the OS will always have problems,

Always?? as in 100% of the time? Have you actually done a scientific survey of this to back up your claim?

Usually making such a minor upgrade (from XP Home to Pro) I don't see where there's gonna be great amount of hassle or potential "issues". I would agree in reformatting or doing a clean install if it was upgrading from a Win9.x os to an NT based OS... but this is not the case with mlr.

Mlr, you can simply pop in the upgrade CD when you're booted up in XP... when it prompts you whether to upgrade, click 'Yes'.

I upgraded from home to pro and had major problems with it. So I re-formated and did a clean install and everything worked fine. I once thought that a small upgrade such as this wouldn't be a problem, but I found out for myself the hard way, and will never do an upgrade again.

Lone Wolf said:
Always?? as in 100% of the time? Have you actually done a scientific survey of this to back up your claim?

Usually making such a small upgrade (from XP Home to Pro) I don't see where there's gonna be great amount of hassle or potential "issues". I would agree in reformatting or doing a clean install if it was upgrading from a Win9.x os to an NT based OS... but this is not the case with mlr.

Mlr, you can simply pop in the upgrade CD when you're booted up in XP... when it prompts you whether to upgrade, click 'Yes'.

He is right.

beedubaya said:
I upgraded from home to pro and had major problems with it. So I re-formated and did a clean install and everything worked fine. I once thought that a small upgrade such as this wouldn't be a problem, but I found out for myself the hard way, and will never do an upgrade again.

And that's perfectly fine Beedubaya. But there's no need to make it so absolute and say that one will "ALWAYS" have problems with such an upgrade. It really causes unjustified fear amongst computer novices that this is some high-risk procedure that's gonna mess up their PC all the time.

Well when you upgrade, it puts different files in place of the other os files and that can cause problems. When you do a clean install, it puts the files there as...say...the original ones, therefor it doesnt have to work over the previous os.

well i supose if you do get problems you can reformat afterwards its not realy a big job either way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom