XP Pro SATA RAID instalation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeber

Beta member
I'm building a new computer with three 80g SATA drives that i plan on putting in a RAID 5 array but when i try to install my xp pro it tells me it cannot locate the hard disks. The bios see's all three fine so i know there getting proper power and are connected correctly but xp install still wont see them.

the computer specs are

Athlon 64 3000+ processor
asus k8n-e delux
3 maxtor 80g diamond plus sata drives
Ati radion 6800 xt all-in-wonder card
2 kingston 512mb DDR PC3200 memmory
and a 500w psu

any ideas or answers on this subject would be very helpful.

holy crap, I never thought I would see the day a non server board would come standard with RAID5. very nice.
Anyway, you need to get the correct drivers loaded into the windows environment at build time to use the Raid array. the F6 prompt is where this needs to happen. You can will need to use a floppy to get them onto the computer...
Just so you know, you will only have the capacity of 2 of the 3 drives when set in a raid 5 config... This is due to the parity information being housed on one drive and also used to create the restor disc if one of the 3 dies...

FYI, it's best to use as many drives as you can for this type of application. in this cause you loose 1/3 of the space, add another drive you only loose 1/4. Better numbers I think...
in the SCSI world, you get 14 or 12 drives to play with so it's a bit better, but this isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom