XP Pro Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wranglr627

Beta member
Hi,

I'm having problems viewing other computers on our network. We have a cable modem connected to a NetGear Hub(EN104TP). We can download from the internet at speeds over +200K/sec but when we try and send something to each other, ie. through AIM (i know AIM isn't a great program for that but we use to get speeds +900k/sec when we shared a dial-up connection). We can't see each others computers and we have tried everything from the network help wizard, chaning our ZoneAlarm settings (ver. 3.7.211). If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this or has encountered the same problem your help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did I get this right? You are trying to send a file to another computer on your network using AIM (AOL Instant Messenger?) over the Internet?

If so, I have a similar problem with MSN Messenger. It will allow me to chat fine, but it has problems with voice chat and file transfer, thought it used to work on my dialup connection.

Not sure if it's the same settings as my cable internet setup, but I was told it doesn't work because the cable connection is ALREADY shared by your ISP between 50 or so local users - so you are effectively trying to share a shared connection.

I don't know how accurate that is - I'm still a newbie techie :)

Honestly, this particular hub is not good with networking from a layered standpoint....you need to get a router/switch piece of hardware.
A hub does not act as a TCP/IP communication device. It's acts on a simple, relay mode where it only sends a network datagram to all other peripherals on the same hub. It does not try and communicate on a MAC address or even an IP address level.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom