XP Boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blo

Baseband Member
Can't boot Win XP Pro from cd or dvd. Hard drive(C)is Primary Master, then CDRW(D) is Secondary Master, and DVD(E) is Secondary Slave. Setup is ok. Boot order is right, (cd first), but boot menu, (seperate from setup boot menu) shows floppy, hard drive, and cd/rw... Not dvd (even when i set dvd as first device in setup boot options). I have already reinstalled XP un-successfully, and have no alternative but format because of old program folders still being present. Any way, never mind that - I did notice that in the hardware properties of each of the drives, the locations are as follows:-

Hard Drive(C) is location 0 (0)
CDRW(D) is 0(0)
DVD(E), is location 1(1)...
Surely CDRW and Hard drive should have different locations.
I really need to get this t'ing formatted. I have an XP start disc, but don't know the Prompt - and if i did format without sorting this out, would i be able to install xp, bearing in mind the boot problem.
When windows is running, and i insert xp disc, it auto - runs normally, but obviously won't let me format a drive that's in use. Pleeze 'elp!
My system is Running AMI Bios with:
XP Proffessional
K7S5A M/board - (no oboard modem or network card)
Maxtor 40 GB H/drive
512 MB / SD Ram / 133mhz
CD/RW
DVD Rom
Neto Dragon 56kb Modem
Nividia Riva TNT2 M64 / 32 MB Graphics Card

hmm, im not sure acually, But i would try booting with a boot floppy and gettinga a prompt, and then try to run the setup for XP from there.

give it a try, tell me if it works, if not i ll see what else i can come up for you.

Yeah... I've just had a look. I reckon i can take it from here - but i've no doubt i'm gonna be needing your expert advice in the near future... Probably in a couple of hours, when i get stuck again.
There are two things i'm curious about!... and that's - i would have thought with me replacing my cd/rw with a new one, and trying C/SEL and MASTER jumper settings on hard drive - that it should boot-up... so what possible reasons are there, for this system not booting to disc... AND... what's the difference between the XP Pro Boot Discs/against the XP Pro SP1 Boot Discs.(my head's starting to ache now, and all i do now, is WONDER, WONDER, ALL DAY LONG.:cyclopes:

here i am... 3 months later... but everything's fine - in fact, i followed chesmans advice, and it walked me thru the process... Completely Painless.
Many thanks - I think the CDR drive was responsible-(thru no fault of it's own).
Anyway, thanks a lot - belated thanks i know, but thanks just the same.

Make sure all your drives are not on CABLE SELECT.

With all the computers that build, it MASTER/SLAVE MASTER/SLAVE all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom