xp 2500+ problems ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufreeh

Baseband Member
i ordered a xp 2500+ barton and an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo online and have the whole thing up and running ..

the only problem is that when bios boots up it shows my processor as a xp 1900+ .. i tried fishing around with the bios settings and all but can seem to get newhere ..

if anyone using this setup has any know-how do reply .. thnx ..

p.s i got an oem processor so maybe the company shipped me the wrong processor .. hafta confirm though ..

ANSWER

YOU HAVE TO UPDADE THE BIOS ,, JUST USE THE UTILITY UPDATE THAT YOU HAVE WHIT YOUR CD OF THE MOTHER BOARD

IT SHOUD GO IN

1- START
2-PROGRAM
3-ASUS
4-ASUS UPDATE
5-CLICK ON IT

THEN USE THE UPTION FLASH BIOS FROM THE NET

YOU WILL HAVE 3 REVISION ( KNOW IT A AT 1.7 ......2.4

I AM NOT SURE BUT YOU NEED 1.5 AND MORE

AND SECOND MAKE SURE THAT THE SETTING IN THE BIOS FOR THE CPU IS AT 166MEG

IN THE CPU SETTING

IT WILL WORK 100% SURE

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM DON T WORRY

I got the same Mobo & it did the same thing as far as it wouldn't fire at the actual CPU speed. In your Bios just go to "Advanced Chipset Features" then set the "CPU External Freq" to 166mhz. That'll bump the FSB to 333mhz and ya should see the CPU show it's actual speed. It's probably set at 100mhz by default. I was told by the boys that it was so you could overclock it if ya wanted. Good Luck!!:D

yup kboy is right. i have the same mobo/CPU. it might not be called CPU external frequency in your CMOS, but it should say something about CPU xxx. people have been easily raising FSB to 400 with stock HSF which you do not have. depending on how good your fan is it should be able to do the same.

CPU xxx: from 166mhz to 200mhz
cpu multiplier: from 11.5 to 9.0

results in xp2500 @ 400mhz bus. this only should be done if you have pc3200 memory. if pc2700 memory this would do essentially nothing.

-edit whoops meant multiplier is 11 not 11.5

so correct is:

cpu multiplier: from 11.5 to 9.0

-second edit

what i still din't change to 11, ok here it is sorry again

cpu multiplier: from 11 to 9.0

yup that did the trick allrite .. thanx !

well i have a thermal take volcano 9 sitting atop my cpu so is it recommendable to increase the cpu xxx and decrease the multiplier ? .. rite now the cpu shows a temp. of in the mid 40s ..

as for the ram .. how do i know that the dual channel ddr option is being utilized with my 1 gb of pc3200 ram ? .. and where and what setting shud i keep for my ram spd, fsb etc. in bios for the same mobo ...

the setting i gave you are very safe from what i've read about that xp2500. actaully people are reporting that having the default 11.5 multiplier and simply raising front side bus to 200mhz is very safe also. you would end up with an xp3200 at $92. some people are going even higher.

volcano 9 is a sweet HSF you should be able to overclock FSB easily. the basic concept is to lower the multiplier as low as it goes and inscrease FSB until system is unstable and back off a few settings. than you use the multiplier to fine tune cpu speed to get that last performance gain. here ya go:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?threadid=20942

if you want to be boring and safe just leave it all to default. i actually have my xp2500 at 166mhz and my pc3200 at 200mhz. i want this thing to last forever :p

mid 40's is perfect. my xp2500 runs 35 celcius at idle on my biostar m7ncd pro mobo and 45celcius idle on my asus a7n8x dlx mobo, both are nforce 2 boards.

to utilize dual channel you should use memory banks 2+3 which are color coded blue. you need a memory module in each one so at least 2 memory sticks are required for dual channel. it's recommended you use 2 same sticks meaning same make/ model/ size/ type example:

2 corsair XMS pc3200 256MB on banks 2+3
------------------------

if you only have one 1024MB stick you are out of luck.

for BIOS settings this is what you can do----

default settings for you setupshould be:

CPU external freq:166
CPU multiplier:11

safe overclocks would be

for increasing from 333mhz to 400mhz front side bus at same cpu clock speed. result in same xp2500:

CPU external freq:166
CPU multiplier:9
must have DDR 400 (pc3200)

for increasing to 400mhz bus and increasing cpu clock speed. results in xp3200:

CPU external freq:200
CPU multiplier:11
must have DDR 400 (pc3200)

---------------------------

the reason why i don't mention memory FSB setting is because you can simply have the memory set to "set by SPD" which will automatically adjust to settings read from the memory (SPD = serial presense detect). memory set to SPD should be the default setting, if thats correct do not change it.

-edit
i said multiplier was 11.5, the correct is 11. i corrected all the numbers so should be correct setting for use in BIOS now

turns out i do have 2 sticks of pc3200 corsair on slots 2+3 .. thats bliss .. hehe :) ..

will try messing around with the overclocking .. hopefully shud work just a-ok ...

nehow thanx a bunch for the info ek/-Esine .. u've bin a great help .. ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom