XFX HD 6970 HDMI Sound output

Status
Not open for further replies.

KpCollins

Baseband Member
Ok I had a good idea which involved me extending my Xbox 360 controller to my living room and using a HDMi cable from my rig to my tv and playing games such as the new batman.

Then it occured about sound.

Ill be using a HDMI cable ( 10 M ) right from the GPU to the TV. At 1st I tought i might need a spdif cable or maybe an optical cable from the mobo, After reading more about my GPU i dont think I need anything. This is what gives me the impression.

Integrated HD audio controller

Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

AMD Radeon

Thats taken right from the AMD website and im looking for a second opinion as to if im right, If im not could you please explain what cables I would need to use?

Thank you

HDMI is audio and video in one, all tv sets will support both audio/video at the same time on HDMI cable. The rest is device dependent, your GPU supports audio/video on HDMI, but you may need to set your audio device as ATI HDMI in your audio properties.

HDMI is audio and video in one, all tv sets will support both audio/video at the same time on HDMI cable. The rest is device dependent, your GPU supports audio/video on HDMI, but you may need to set your audio device as ATI HDMI in your audio properties.

The only thing that shows there at the moment View attachment 5113 is the one you see at the top. Thing is the location for this device is the same as the speakers which makes me believe this is for the mobo's HDMI which is an AMD chipset. Maybe it will appear after I connect the device as Ive already had it display all devices working or not.

1 thing that maybe im not aware of or am wrong about is the chipset, Is the mobo an AMD chipset or Realtek for the sound?

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M5A97

I have AMD catalyst installed and a 5m hdmi cable, if I move my pc I might be able to get that to reach. Ill try that when the kids have gone to bed and see what happens.

Again, thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 323
If you are using HDMI it will be via your AMD/ATI chipset/GPU. If you use an optical cable, it would be via Realtek.

Use the generic windows based audio properties to switch the audio device, as your GPU/Chipset (not sure if your using onboard or what) is also an audio device since it has HDMI.

Just pick the AMD HDMI Output when using the TV/HDMI cable and you *should* have sound.

AMD = ATI

If you are using HDMI it will be via your AMD/ATI chipset/GPU. If you use an optical cable, it would be via Realtek.

Use the generic windows based audio properties to switch the audio device, as your GPU/Chipset (not sure if your using onboard or what) is also an audio device since it has HDMI.

Just pick the AMD HDMI Output when using the TV/HDMI cable and you *should* have sound.

AMD = ATI

Yea ill be using the HDMI right to the tv in the living room, its going to be connected to the back of my GPU. I'd rather not go optical as thats just another cable to be then hidden.

I do have on board HDMI but the Chipset is nothing near my GPU so that would suffice for films etc.. but not for gaming.

So does this GPU take its sound directly from the PCI-e slot on the mobo? If this is the case I should like you say get sound directly from the HDMI on my GPU, if not the AMD HDMI listed in the picture above im afraid will be the one on my mobo.

Sigh... Thanks for all your help but I believe the best course of action is to move the PC closer to the living room when the kids are in bed and use a 5m to see if I get sound then work on it from there.

Again Thanks

As I said earlier, a GPU with an HDMI port is also a sound device, hence the reason for AMD Audio showing in the basic audio properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom