Xbox vs PC: A Hardware Comparison - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Camden

Quote:
Originally posted by killians45
Oh yeah, also note much of the first gen software will NOT take full advantage of all the hardware, wont even come close to it. I would say you will see some improvements with Oblivion and Halo3, but it'll take a full year or so before the hardware begins to even get scratched. Thats always been the norm on consoles.

Idk about that.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by talldude123
the xbox 360? my celeron is a POS compared to it!

-3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each (IBM PowerPC)
-1 MB L2 cache
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
-22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
-21.6 GB/s front-side bus
-10 MB of graphics memory
-12X dual-layer DVD-ROM
-Detachable and upgradeable 20 GB hard drive
-3 USB 2.0 ports
-Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
-Multichannel surround sound audio output
the 10mb of video memory is on die meaning its cache 10 megs of it and also the chip has access to the system memory so it is not a bad thing

Old 12-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

while the original xbox's hardware may be weak compared to a pc's **** is it efficient!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

exactly and no background programs running just the game
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by digitaloracle
I personally want 45+
as long as the minimum doesnt go below around 24 then we cant tel the dif anywayz doesnt matter how many fps you get maximum

yeh these game machines are made for basically just games (now they start putting multimedia stuff in turning too much like pcs)

Aries A+ Hardware and Software Certified
Old 12-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by BlkShdw88
as long as the minimum doesnt go below around 24 then we cant tel the dif anywayz doesnt matter how many fps you get maximum

That's a load because you can see up to 60 FPS for a good human, and at least 45 for average people.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

the fact is...3.2 Ghz is a pretty good processor for $400, because i'll bet the processor alone costs $400 to put into a computer.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ-CHRIS
That's a load because you can see up to 60 FPS for a good human, and at least 45 for average people.
yes we can see as many frames a second as we want but the frames become a fluid motion around the 24fps mark thats why cinemas and normal tv is smooth. it depends on what your talking about i spose.

Aries A+ Hardware and Software Certified
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by talldude123
the fact is...3.2 Ghz is a pretty good processor for $400, because i'll bet the processor alone costs $400 to put into a computer.
3.2Ghz is an intel Number AMD hasn't reached that yet. Are you recommending a Intel over AMD?
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Originally posted by killians45

Oh yeah, also note much of the first gen software will NOT take full advantage of all the hardware, wont even come close to it. I would say you will see some improvements with Oblivion and Halo3, but it'll take a full year or so before the hardware begins to even get scratched. Thats always been the norm on consoles.

Camden

Idk about that.

Yes, its true. The current games, CoD2 for example does not use much as far as procedural synthesis, and I THINK it only uses 2 cores, if even that. You must realize what it is like now to program on a system like this. It is unique. I do programming, but nothing as complex as what these people do, however I do know that it takes awhile to fully utilize a systems hardware and software capabilities. I think Oblivion will really utilize the procedural synthesis. Also, direct manipulation of the cache will eventually, although tedious, open other avenues. Remember donkey kong on the old nintendo systems. Okay graphics, then one day 'bam'! Out comes donkey kong country. That was from exploiting a systems resources. Its the reason why games get better and better looking on current generations. New hardware didn't just magically appear in the consoles, the developers learned how to develope better. There is so much that this thing can do, it takes time to learn it.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread