Xbox vs PC: A Hardware Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
What is better a "average" PC or an Xbox in terms of hardware power. I know very little so I hope others can shed the some light on the Xbox specs but I hear it has a custom Pentium 3 chip and a video card that is on the same par as the Geforce 6800 GS.

the xbox 360? my celeron is a POS compared to it!

-3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each (IBM PowerPC)
-1 MB L2 cache
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
-22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
-21.6 GB/s front-side bus
-10 MB of graphics memory :(
-12X dual-layer DVD-ROM
-Detachable and upgradeable 20 GB hard drive
-3 USB 2.0 ports
-Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
-Multichannel surround sound audio output

the original xbox is (get ready to sleep)

-Intel Pentium III 733 MHz
-64 MB RAM
-128 KB cache
-256-bit 2D/3D graphics acceleration

The xbox is a slow computer with a hefty graphics card (when it came out). The 6800GS will wipe the floor with the Xbox.

talldude123 said:
the xbox 360? my celeron is a POS compared to it!

-3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each (IBM PowerPC)
-1 MB L2 cache
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
-22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
-21.6 GB/s front-side bus
-10 MB of graphics memory :(
-12X dual-layer DVD-ROM
-Detachable and upgradeable 20 GB hard drive
-3 USB 2.0 ports
-Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
-Multichannel surround sound audio output

But the real world peforamance is not that great.

Somehow consoles seem to have all of this hardware, but they cannot match seemingly inferior PC specs. for $400, it is the best gaming platfrom you can buy, but a midlevel computer (1gig of ram, 6600GT, AMD Athlon 64 3200/P4 3.0Ghz) will destroy it. I saw a demo of COD2 running on a $1000+ LCD TV and it looked like junk, with bad textures and heavy alaising. No doubt they will improve their ability to get performance out of the hardware, but it it certainly not nearly as good as it sounds. Also bear in mind that it only has to put out about 30fps. Most PC games areconsidered only "playable" at that framerate. I personally want 45+ (unless i'm hosting)

Well, every person I know from work to my brother who has a high end PC and a 360 says the graphics on the 360 are much nicer. Maybe the problem is with the monitor? From what I've seen, I'm very impressed. CoD2 had NO display abnormalities, and this is at HD. So, maybe they had a poor display there or something?? I dunno, but either you are full of it or you saw a display that had some fort of interference/problem with it. Also, take a look at some of the graphics between Kong PC and XBox360. CoD2 was pretty much a direct port, so there is little difference in graphics. I head load times where twice as fast for the 360, though.

Oh yeah, also note much of the first gen software will NOT take full advantage of all the hardware, wont even come close to it. I would say you will see some improvements with Oblivion and Halo3, but it'll take a full year or so before the hardware begins to even get scratched. Thats always been the norm on consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom