x800 vidcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal

In Runtime
lets say id like to get a x800
ati makes it and some other companies makes it too..like Celestica , Info-Tek , PowerColor ,asus.....why is theres a big difference in prices?its from 395$ to 485$.Does they all make the same job?What are the differences?

First, before anyone else says it, the x800's are quickly fading due to technical problems and shortcomings.

That said, on to yer questions.

Different manufacturers do different things. The chipset is the same, but the manufacturers can do practically anything else they want. ATI only makes the chips. So the manufacturers put on whatever heatsink they want, RAM, colors, etc, as well as what comes with the card, such as games, equipment, manuals, etc.

Some companies issue the cards with bare-minimum heatsinks that aren't totally good enough. To find out how a certain manufacturer does, try searching the net for reviews on different cards made by different manufacturers.

Also, some companies (PNY as one notorious example) NEVER bundle their hardware with games and extra stuff, which sucks. I mean, it's cool to spend $400 on a new card and get a cool game with it! And who the hell wants to spend that much money on a card, and have to then go buy some peice of equipment (like a cable or something)?

Some manufacturers don't offer the same programs for the cards, either. You may get certain card config programs with one mf, but not another.

It all really takes some work looking at the details. What do they offer? Do they have good reviews? How's the hardware (as far as function goes)?

Hope that helps.

ASUS is awesome on their game bundles for their video cards. Grab a ASUS gamer's edition 6800 with DDR3 memory at 1Ghz. ASUS also makes a Ultra edition, which I think is too expensive. I have heard good things about eVGA's 6800 series, I don't know how they are packaged though.

Yeah I got a New eVEGA nVidia 6800gt 256 mb 256bit WITH Doom3 for 370, shipping included.

The eVGA 6800GT is really the best deal for the money today. It is also more futureproof than either of the X800s.

Since no card has surpassed the capabilities of AGP, I think that AGP might be futureproof. (AGP is a bottleneck for no card). It's not like mobo manufacturer's are going to replace AGP with PCI-E on each and every mobo they produce in the future.

True. Both the 6800s and X800s are great for todays games. The 6800s will be low end when the PS3 era starts and the X800s will be totally outdated. If you really want to be future proof, wait till next summer and get the PCI-ex version of ATI's R520 series. I hear its gonna be awesome and its designed by the same crew that designed the 9700 series, which became one of ATI's biggest successes. That 9600 should hold you over till then...

Both manufacturers are now focusing on PCI-E, therefore the production of AGP cards will be limited.

It's too soon to buy a very high-end card considering the next line of PCI-E based cards will be released in a few months. The difference in performance to cost will be huge.

ohGrFreak - AGP will be replaced by PCI-E in late 2005.

You may not be able to buy a AGP card at that time he posted above...But if you get a good card now you will be fine for 2-3 years i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom