X-Box PS2 or PC with 9800 pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaisermoran

Baseband Member
I wondered what the equivalent of an X-box or Playstation 2 would be in terms of a PC setup? I have a radeon 9800 pro 128MB and wondered how it compares to the consoles mentioned.

Deano

i think for graphics its about the same maybes abit below the xbox and gamecube standard but ahead of the ps2 (my card is better than the PS2 lol) anyhow it also depends on ur CPU, urs would have to be alot more powerful because the gaming machines dont have to run a OS like windows. the ps2 is only liek 300hz the gamecue is about 500 and the xbox about 733 i think they are. Just goes to show how much a waste of money the PS2 actually is.

Consoles are dedicated systems, whereas PC's aren't. It's hard to compare them really.

However, you have to bear in mind that most consoles are designed to be used on TV's, which have HORRIBLE resolution and screen quality compare to PC monitors, so their graphics don't have to be super because they aren't going to be super on the TV anyway.

Chances are, a good PC will still run circles around todays consoles.

True, but on paper games consoles do have insane specs for their time though; I read in 'The Ultimate History of Video Games' (Steven L.Kent) that when the PS2 was first introduced George Lucas said that it was more powerfull than all the workstations put together that he used to create Star Wars: Episode 1... or something like that ;).

First of all, PS2 is the weakest system ever. Those specs are true. PS2 has the worst frame rates. Gamecube is in the middle in terms of frame rates and power of hardware, it is an all-around great system. The Xbox is the most powerful. It has an nVidia graphics card that is 256 Bit graphics card. I think the 256 Bit is split to 128 since half is disabled. Secondly, todays PCs would whoop the current systems and even next generation systems. I mean come on, we're seeing SLI and if you use SLI in a next gen system, you'd be better off buying a PC since the console would only be $100 to $200 less than a PC with SLI.

Well considering Xbox and PS2 were $300 upon release I shudder to think of what the price of PS3 and Xbox2 will be.

The PS2 has a lot of great games and games with good graphics at that. As weak as it may seem it's still a damn good console. Gamecube is mainly for the younger audience and has few games which really show off it's ability. And yeah of course Xbox reigns highest with fastest loading times and smoother graphics...however

taking a look at games like HL2 and the up and coming S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it's a no brainer that a gaming PC will destroy a console. But for someone who isn't a nerd and doesn't play the PC a $300 console to play a variety of games is a perfect solution.

Or if your like me, you want the best of both worlds. I have PS2 and Gamecube.....I put a bomb in my XBOX and blew it up :D Stopped reading discs sooo yeah I killed it

I have a Gamecube and I love my Gamecube. I really don't care for anything else except my computer which is a daemon.

consoles suck. they are so behind in technology.

the gaming technology that we use today wont even be present in the playstation 3... which is due to arrive in 2007!

Yeah, but not all of us can afford a freakin' FX-55 with custom dry ice cooling and a Radeon X850XT PE on PCIe and a 660W PSU. Consoles are way for even the average person to have fun cost effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom