would it be worth getting RDRAM? only one M/B compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
The M/B is a GA-8IHXP http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00002867 (by the way I'm Australian) the only one that supports PC800/1066 RDRAM im looking at building a PC and it seems to support a lot, and it is compatible with Hyper-threading but only at 533 MHZ FSB. 3.06 GHZ is the only P4 with 533 MHZ FSB and Hyper-Threading.

would you suggest getting this M/B or is it better to go with another M/B and get DDR RAM?

You'll see better performance with a revision "C" pentium 4 paired with some quality sticks of PC3200 DDR running in dual-channel mode. There's pretty much no reason at all to be buying RDRAM these days, so you should probably look at the new Canterwood or Springdale chipset motherboards supporting the 800mhz fsb P4s and PC3200 DDR.

ok, well with motherboard and DDR RAM disks combined would it be less expensive? and if so would the price be low enough to get the 3 GHZ P4 with 800 FSB for almost the same price cos i want to build my PC so it costs close to $2000 (aus), over here the 800 FSB P4 is more expensive than the 533 but all of the 800's have HT

By the looks of it, it'll end up being approximately the same price. The RDRAM seems to cost a fair bit more, so I think it'll pretty much balance out. IMO it's well worth spending a bit extra to get an 800 FSB rather than a 533 since the extra performance is quite noticable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom