Would it work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
My mom has an old Gateway pc thats about six or seven years old. It's a full tower case. Do you guys think there would be anyway for me to gut it and make a new pc out of it. After being here for awhile you all have me itching to try and build a comp on my own. So, if possible this would be a good pc to learn on. :)

I would think that building a PC with that old case might be tricky. Man manufacturers make the cases so that they are difficult to upgrade so that you have to buy a new comp instead of upgrading that one....stupid marketing ploys :) I think it might be tough to salvage that case and power supply is most likely not powerful enough for today's hardware. As another marketing ploy, computer manufacturers make it so that the power supply just supports the devices in the computer so you can't upgrade. What I'd recommend doing is getting a case of www.newegg.com . You can get a case and power supply for $60 bucks, which isn't bad. I'd be happy to help you customize a PC on here. How much are you spending and what will you be doing with it (gaming, video editing, etc.)? For one last thing, a great website to show you how to build is www.pcmech.com/byopc . I used it and it is very thorough. GOOD LUCK!

hmm...how much can you spend on a new comp?

btw, you'll probably have to disassemble everything and that just leaves you with the case, which probably isn't that good anyways (does it even meet the standards of today's ATX?)

you should just build a new one (and plus, you can't even use the old comp's power supply)

Thanks guys. I'll just have to start from scratch. I'm gonna do it one piece at a time. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on it right now.................I just ordered an Alienware not long ago. So, I'll just get it one piece at a time. It's gonna be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom