Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherubimon_3.20

In Runtime
Right now I have Athlon 3000 with 333 FSB and 512 RAM PC2700. Now, if I were to get PC3200 RAM, would it function properly in my system or would I have to get cpu with 400 FSB to accomodate the new ram?

You have found the only downfall with AMD. The CPU's will not work properly with with RAM that has a higher FSB then it's self. I have seen this prob., I run the same chip, and had no luck with getting the 3200 to work.

hope this answered your question,
-=Cricket=-

You have found the only downfall with AMD. The CPU's will not work properly with with RAM that has a higher FSB then it's self. I have seen this prob., I run the same chip, and had no luck with getting the 3200 to work.

Uhhh that is complete bs. My last system was a 2400+ XP which has 266FSB, I had a stick of PC2700 and a stick of PC3200 in there and my motherboard overclocked my PC2700 to 2x199 = 398MHz so I think you'd better check your sources again cricket. Or perhaps you just had bad luck or something, but the answer is yes you can put in a RAM stick that's higher than your CPU, but you will be creating a bottleneck

yup nubius is bang on i have mixed ram (pc2100 & pc 2700) running alongside an athlon 2200xp with no probs

Means you can buy ram that will accomodate your next cpu upgrade (well thats how i look at it)

Your going to have to overclock your CPU in order to get full power out of PC3200 ram. If your FSB is at 333mhz and your ram speed is 400mhz the CPU is only going to feed info to it at 333mhz so the ram will only function at that speed.

Hmm.. The RAM speed also depends on the mobo right? If your CPU can support 400mhz but your mobo can only support 333mhz will it work?

It should work but your mobo will clock your RAM to 333 instead of its 400mhz.

Basically if you wanted to you could get 500mhz ram but if the mobo only supports 333 then thats what it will be set to

Maybe I am wrong, we all get things wrong now and then. :)

Its just that I have seen this in many systems when it comes to the 3000, mine supports up to 400Mhz (for what chip, not sure :confused: . I have it maxed)

I personally have not tried this on newer boards, they might have fixed this problem. In the end check your boards manual, if there is a problem they will print it there.

good luck to you,
-=Cricket=-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom