Would this used laptop be OK for me? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Would this used laptop be OK for me?

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great day so far!

I am wanting to purchase a second-hand laptop for the only purpose of writing notes at university -- so I would be using Office, and that's it. No games, no Internet, no multiple windows open at a time.

I am looking at this one laptop that we have available at a supply story in my city, it is a Pentium II-233, with 64RAM, a 14-inches screen (not that it counts), a 2Mb video card, and it has Windows 2000 installed, with 1 Gig of actual memory (not RAM, but space, not too sure what the proper word is for that). For 40$ the laptop can be upgraded to 128 RAM, but I am assuming I will not need this. It has a 40 minutes guaranteed lasting battery (might be longer but it is at least that) -- my laptop would rarely be on battery.

I own a Pentium 4 at home and don't know much about laptops. I really don't want to pay a lot... all I need is something that will allow me to take notes.

Is this laptop reliable? (It also has a 30-days warranty).

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to CplusX2

My advice is no.

which version of office? I beleive that office 2000 requires 64 megs of ram just for that. A 233 is just not going to be able to do much very quickly and will probably lock up on you just running excel.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I agree. If you were running Windows 95 or 98 then I'd say go for it, but 2000 requires quite a bit of oomph just for itself. A 1 gigabyte hard drive (I think that's what you're looking for) isn't going to be nearly large enough either. When I had my laptop with just Windows 98 and nothing else it still took up at least 500-600 megs, so very little will be left for you.
My reccomendations:

1. Get a similar laptop with Windows 95/98 and Office on it
2. Buy a laptop with at least:

350 mhz, 128 mb ram, 4 gb hard drive.

233 mhz and 64 mb of ram will be barely enough for even just Office. Shop around at the smaller computer shops in your area. I got a nice P3 550 w/ 128 mb RAM, 8 MB Rage 3D, and 6 gb hd for $325 (on sale) after I looked around.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

How much you looking to spend?

I mean, you could get a decent NEW laptop for not much.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 08-13-2004, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

That will be plenty if that is all you do want to do. Here at work we have tons of users on very OLD machines and they do a lot more than type word documents. I work for a newspaper and the majority of the editorial PC's are IBM 300 GL's running Intel Pentium 233 MMX processor's, 96MB RAM, 2GB HD...this is just a "pentium" not pentium II..lol..

They have multiple pieces of software running at once including outlook, internet, word, and our Goodnews (editorial-pagination software) and they do ok. They are also running Windows 2000 and I upgraded all of them to service pack 4 (pita with no space to work with!!). Now if all you do is type word documents that 1GB HD will last you a LONG LONG time..even a large 100 page essay will take up a couple of megabytes...if its cheap I say do it..no more than $150-175 though
Old 08-13-2004, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

On a side note we have 50 new Dell PC's running 2.8GHZ, 1GB RAM coming in so that should take care of maybe 25% of the editorial..lol...and guess who gets to setup all those new PC's and merge over all the users data!!! haha...I love it though..I don't make $5.25 an hour for nuthin.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi everyone, and thank you very much for your help.
I just bought a laptop on Ebay for 200$ US incld. shipping and handling and there is a 7-day warranty so I'll test it the best I can the first week. It's a P2 233Hz It has a 4gig hard-drive, but only 64 of RAM, and runs Windows 98. At worst -- I can get it upgraded for 40$ to 128 RAM in store. At that price it wouldn't matter much, but I still hope I can get it to run office!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

I would say upgrade it to 128mb ram, it will give a performance boost then, everything else should run fine.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Jeez...5.25 to be a newspaper sys-tech? Are your benefits peanuts and free coffee-stir-sticks? Last time I got paid 5.25, I was still in high-school and working at a movie theater.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 08-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just informed myself and unless I buy my laptop from them, upgrading to 128RAM may cost me more than 100$.

Now this may seem like a silly question -- but if I am only going to be running Microsoft Word, one copy at a time, and that is the only program I am planning to use -- I am Ok with 64 RAM?

Closed Thread