would i be able to max out games w/ this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye127

Solid State Member
Hi guys, i would like to know if a system with these specs would be capable of maxing out the graphics on some of the newer games. basically, on a scale of 1-10, how good is this computer for gaming, keep in mind, i cant really do a lot better than this budget wise...

mobo: gigabyte 8IPE1000L intel 865PE DDR W/S, L
Intel pentium 4 2.4 ghz 533fsb
1024mb ddr ram 266mhz
hard drive: 120 gb wd ide, 7200 rpm, 8mb bf.
juster d630 digital 5.1 speaker system
ms windows xp home edition
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256mb ddr

i appreciate all opinions, ty

You will be able to have high settings, but you won't be able to have full AA and AF on newer games most likely. Thats still a good system, its just beginning to be a little dated.

Intel...Max...Games...HA!!

You'll never be able to get max GAMING performance out of an Intel. If you want maxed gaming then you better start looking at an AMD Athlon 64-FX. And if you cant afford one of those, go with an Athlon 64 3000+, its faster than the pentium and its pretty cheap.

As far as the other stuff, your RAM is fine, but for your Hard Drive, if you really want the fastest gamming system, you should try and find an SATA HD.

The graphics card could also use an upgrade. Start looking at the Nvida GeForce 6800s. Not the GTs or Ultras, just the normal one. They're pretty cheap for what you get, since they cost almost the same as a 9800 pro yet they are ranked up there with the top-of-the-line VGA cards.

Overall I'd give your system about a 7 for gaming. Just a bit above average but it could still use some work.

Give us a budget amount and it'll be a lot easier for us to tell what range of computer you're looking at.

all right, i just got an ati x800 pro as an early x-mas gift, as well as a new 400watt power supply, how would you rate it now, and is upgrading the memory speed really going to make a noticeable difference, because i've heard it both ways, also, i take it that i could probably run most games on atleast high graphics settings if not maxed, is this correct?? I can't really afford much more upgrades as of now either, but maybe sometime in the future as i am considering committing myself to pc gaming and sell my ps2 and 14 games with it for $300.

The X800 Pro is a powerful card that can max out all games available today. It even can use 4xAA, 16xAF on all games except Doom 3 and you won't notice a drop in the framerate. For Doom 3, use 2xAA, 8xAF, which will give you a balance of sexy graphics and performance.

Yea, I would say upgrade to some good PC2700 memory. It is cheap these days. Your processor and especially your RAM will greatly limit the performance of your X800. If I were you, I would be looking into an Athlon 64 system to go with your new card. You really need it to get the full potential out of that card.

As of now, i think the processor is gonna have to wait a bit for me, even if i left the system as it is now with the x800, i could still max out a few games, or atleast put them on high settings, correct??

Absolutely....you could even do AA and AF, you just wouldn't see the outrageously high framerates you would see with faster RAM and an Athlon 64 processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom