Would this be good enough for video editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Chaintech 7NJL6 Socket A Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2900+ Barton 400fsb 512kb L2 cache
Refurbed 9600 All in Wonder
512mb or 1gb ram (thinking pqi or something cheap, twinmos if newegg has it in stock)
Nec 16 dvd burner
Samsung 160GB or 200GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive
Floppy drive

If I get a cheap tower and decent power supply should be able to get the parts for $380 to $440. Been trying to figure out the best system for my uncle for video editing. No overclocking or video games on the system just video editing and regular stuff.

Video editing can be very demanding on your system, more Ram would make sense 1 gig or 2. Although it all depends on what you want to do if its simple family video editing then your system should be ok using xp movie maker, But if you want to be professional Id go for 2 gig of RAM,AMD 64 3200+ or higher and some sort of video graphics card but thats not a subject im great at.

And if you want to be professional i'd go with adobe premiere pro 7 but can be expensive.

Looks decent enough. Definitely go with 1Gb ram if you can. 2 is not neccesary on a budget. If you can, I'd try to invest a little more in the CPU. That's going to be the main factor in how fast you can work. The vid card is not all that important, but that AIW throws in some nice vid cap ability I believe, so it is a good choice.

the more the merrier. in your case this applies to the amount of ram and hdd capacity. i'd get at least 1 gb of ram and a huge hdd, preferably +250gb (there are some drives with even 16mb cache). i dunno if ur mobo supports sata, but if it does, that's the way then. ur vid card should be fine, and i think u can cope with the cpu.

i just recently read a review about video editing software and the one (can't remember the name:() that won adobe premiere among others rivals was actually really cheap.

I don't know if this is the kind of video editing ur talking about but a friend of mine converted some of his VHS videos to DVD, said something about he had to do video editing to make it look better and add chapters etc etc. He was only running a machine like this.

MSI K7turbo 2
AMD Athlon1700+
768Mb SDRAM

He had no problems at all and the DVD's were getting better picture quality than the actual VHS videos.:)

Drworm2005.

When going from VHS to DVD you shouldn't expect better quality, unless there is something quite wrong with the VHS, for example, it's too dark. Some adjustments can be made to achieve better video quality, but not many. For the most part it's like taking something you recorded off the radio with a microphone, dumping the file in your computer, and expecting to convert it to 320k mp3 quality: you just can't do it.

The reason I'm going with the xp 2900 is because after rebate the chip and board both only come to $80. I can get a socket 754 amd64 and board for about $80 more but I was thinking of just using this for now and then upgrading later when a dual core chip gets affordable.

I've never seen a 16mb cache drive before. Are they any good? Probably out of price range though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom