Worth Upgrading? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Worth Upgrading?

Do to the fact my motherboard only supports PCI, I am stuck with a small variety of graphics cards. Regardless, I have a question. I currently have a PNY GeForce FX 5200 PCI 128MB, but I recently found a site that has a Inno3D GeForce FX 5600 PCI 256MB. I've searched and searched for reviews, but failed. I was wondering, is it worth upgrading to this graphics card, or will I not see that much of a performance boost?

Old 05-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't think there will be much of an increase in performance. I'd say stick with what you have.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 05-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
AB0
Junior Techie

That 5600 is the best, aside from a 9100 if you can find one. Here is a review comparing it to a lot of PCI cards and it seems to be quite good, for PCI. It actually provides playable framerates in Doom 3 at 640x480 on medium detail.
http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445
I actually own one of them myself, as I too only have PCI. The only problem with it is that it has a noisy fan. But I replaced the fan now and I can't complain. I will be building a new computer soon however, and I cant wait.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by AB0
That 5600 is the best, aside from a 9100 if you can find one. Here is a review comparing it to a lot of PCI cards and it seems to be quite good, for PCI. It actually provides playable framerates in Doom 3 at 640x480 on medium detail.
http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445
I actually own one of them myself, as I too only have PCI. The only problem with it is that it has a noisy fan. But I replaced the fan now and I can't complain. I will be building a new computer soon however, and I cant wait.
none of them are good

the memory doesn't even matter in games since it's such a crappy card (only higher end cards will have a difference between 128 and 256mb)

you won't even notice a difference when you upgrade, it's not even worth the money

just save up for a new comp

Quote:
I don\'t play for fun, I play to win and winning is fun.
Closed Thread