worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
OK i know lots of people post threads asking for input on a system they might buy so heres mine.

AMD Athlon 64 3500 Newcastle 130nm
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Socket 939)
ThermalRight XP-120
YS-TECH FD1238 120mm Fan
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX CAS2
Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro CAS2 -got
Antec NeoPower 480W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB SATA 8MB x2 -got
eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit
Creative sound Blaster audigy -got
Sunbeam Transformer Gaming ATX Case - Blue
Zalman Multi Fan Speed Controller

there it is dont think there is anything i have forgot.
what im not sure on is the cpu i dont know whether to get the 130nm or 90nm core becuase ive heard the 90 is hotter and ive heard that its cooler :confused: but i also know that they 90might not be compatable with the motherboard but i dont know. Ive already got the HDDs from this system along with the stick of corsiar 512mb xmspro but i dont know whether to buy just another stick if that wil run in dual channel or whether it will be better to buy the matched pair and have 1.5gig. If i do that will the single channel ram slow the whole thing down or will it only be used as excess after the dual channel is full, if it gets full :confused: Ive tried to pick a case that has as many 120mm fans as possible because i know they push more air than 80mm ons and are quiter becuase they run slower so do you think this setup will be loud? becuase i want to leave it on overnight and my bed is about 3m away from the comp. I already have monitor/ mouse/ keyboard/cd/dvd drives and cables and stuff so what do you guys think?

oh yea total price with the setup above is £740 ($1400),
with the 90nm core add £20 ($38),
with just another stick off 512 rather than 1gig take off £93 ($176),
I wont be buying it now i will be waiting until the january sales so hopefull that price will drop quite abit :cool:

thanks

yeah that 90nm processor does have mobo issues. u mite wanna consider just stickin 2 a pair of Corsair ram. don't use the 512mb ram unless u want single channel. gd luck

what do u mean about the ram? can i not use 2 sticks in dual channel and the 3rd in single channel or is that a stupid question? lol

i know they dont but when i had just one stick of 512 i was running very slowly with progs like edonkey open thats gone now i have a gig. i would like to have dual channel thats why i dont know whethetr to have 2 matched sticks or two that have been bought seperatly but are same make/model in DC

ok, you only need 1 gig in dual channel. if your mobo supports dual channel, then any extra ram slows it down unless its in dual channel. my mobo doesnt support dual channel so i have 1.5 gigs. but really no application or game uses that much ram.

Megadeth2 said:
512 MB is more than enough of RAM since games like Doom 3 don't even use up that much RAM.

Quit saying people only need 512MB of RAM. They may only need that for the games to run, but things run a lot smoother with 1GB. Believe me, I've worked with both.

ok i was just wondering if i could run 2 stick in dual channel and 1 in single channel but im guessing that cant be dun. I agree with beedubaya i was told by lots of ppl that 512 is enough but now i have a gig everything is so much faster and smoother just wish i had 2 stick of corsiar xmspro rather than one of them and one cheap generic one that slows it down :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom