Worried... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Worried...

Hey i got back from Tim Hortons tonight and my brother said that my computer started to smell like melting glue so he turned it off. And when i came home i thought they put off a few caps (the ones u get a at a buck or two). So i went to turn my computer back on and the power light came on but nothing else happened. I took everything off and made sure the wires were connected and put it all back together and everything worked. What could have this been i mean the smell cant be good.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

im guessing ur powersupply is fried. or soon to be at least. i recommend getting another powersupply. that would be the only thing the would do that. so just get as good 350 or 400 w psu and u should be fine.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Thats pretty weird. I couldent tell you and be positive whats wrong. But when i read that i was thinking powersupply also. Maybe the psu fan is dead. When you opened the computer up, did you notice any smoke or a smell coming from any components?
Finished With TF.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

I would agree that it is the psu. If it was the cpu it would have shut down once it reaches a certain temp. What was the brand and model of the psu you had in your pc? Its also something easy to test to see if it is the psu.

I had a defective psu out of the box once. It would power up the led on the mobo and the power led on the front of the pc, but nothing else. I tired an older psu that was a 100w less and it worked fine. So to me it does sound like its a psu on the verge of biting the dust.
Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Something seems to be burning up.. I was working on my flash movie project and my computer shuts down 3 hours in... i am really dumb not to save every ounce in a while. Anyways i go to check what went wrong and when i went to pull the power cord out i got burnt from the psu it was really hot. i left it for about 10 minutes and it turned back on (had to loose some heat?) So that must mean the fan stopped or something . But as "AND_YOU_ARE" pointed out the computer would shutdown if the cpu reached a certain temp. Everything seems to be ok for now cause i took the side cover off untill i get a new psu.
Closed Thread