A word of warning (7900GT's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Folks, I just thought I'd give you all a bit of a warning when it comes to 7900 GTs that are factory OC'd, as most on the market are. This is a useful read if you are considering buying one, so take some time and just browse through this post.

It seems that many of the early build (not all) 7900 GTs just cannot cope with the OC that have been added to them. They will run stable for a few days, and then the core and memory chips will just 'spazz out', causing intermittent effects such as freezing, artifacting, and all other manner of nasties.
Obviously manufacturers have taken note of this and most 'new' 7900 GTs are fitted with better voltage control and cooling solutions, but there are a large number of 'old ones' still out there, so their is a chance that you might order one of these 'duds'.

Take this into account when considering buying a BFG, XFX, eVGA or Asus 7900 GT, as you may well have to RMA them after a few days. On the other hand, don't let this put you off buying the 7900 as it is an undeniably amazing card for its price.

SOLUTION - For those whom do happen to have an old 7900 GT that has these problems you have two options. You can either RMA your defective card and pray that your manufacturer ships a working one, and fast, or underclock the card back to standard speeds. The latter is quite a sad thing to have to do when having payed extra cash for a faster card, but sometimes its better than waiting weeks for a replacement to be sent. Use a program such as Rivatuner or Coolbits (both available from www.guru3d.com) to set the clock speeds to JUST under the standard clocks. A good clock speed that should run stable and still be of a good speed is 448 on the core (450 is standard) and 653 on the memory (660 is standard). Hope that helps any of you suffering with a 'naughty' 7900.

Here are a few links to website and forums that have info about the problem:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=14044
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32083
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32113

- Cheers, Ali the Diabetic.

If you do want to buy one I dont recommend getting a BFG, well atleast until they have fixed the broken capacitor problem. My first one arrived with a broken capacitor, my second one artifacted like mad, Im on my third one at the moment. It isnt perfect but its as good as ill get.

I've had to underclock mine to stock 7900 GT speeds, I'm not willing to be without a graphics card for weeks whilst they send a replacement. Its sad I know, but the computer is rather important to me, especially now that I have a lot of time to do nothing. Going out is all well and good, but one cannot do that 24/7.

That is exactllywhat happened to my friends EVGA 7900GT (factory OCed to 500/1500), it worked fine for the first two days then it started to artifact like crazy to the point where it crashed his computer. But he just took it back to Microcenter and replaced it so it works fine now.

His dad bought it without him being there, he could have saved 50 bucks at the time if he got it off newegg. His dad also bought a AMD 4000+ for $400 bucks when he wanted to get a dual core (once again he wasn't there). He was telling me how he was mad about that but I just said "maybe if it was your money then it would be right to be angry" (his dad paid for his whole computer) Like the saying goes.... beggers can't be choosers.

Errr, yah, if someone spends like £200 on 'ya, I strongly doubt you have a right to be angry.

It would seem so, IF the heatsink covers the RAM chips. So, if the heatsink is a little bigger than your standard cooler, everything should be fine.

The standard cooler only covers the core, meaning the ram modules overheat and cause instability.

I will post the email back and forthing I have had with BFG after I've recieved a few more replies. Sadly they seem to be refusing to acknowledge what many of us have found out.

They need to take a page out of eVGA's book!

my 7900 GT clocked at 550/1580.

works fine? OCed the core to 592 and will be volt modding, and memory is stable at 1824 effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom