Wont Recognize Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
Hey all. Im running Windows XP Pro on my compute here. I installed a second backup HDD but for some reason its not showing up. I have all the jumpers correctly set and all. my question is, does it matter which connector is used on the flat cable that connects the hard drives? From the motherboard its connected to the slave then from the slave its connected to the master. Should I maybe switch around the master and slave so the connector closest to the motherboard is the master? I definitly have the jumpers set correctly and all that though. Any ideas? Thanks alot!

The way you have it connected at the moment is correct - the master should always be on the end of the cable.

You said you have set the jumpers correctly on the slave drive but have you check the master? Some drives have a jumper setting for 'single drive'. If this is the case with your master drive, it will work fine when drive is on it's own but not when a slave is attached.

Hey, yah i definitly checked both drives. I ahev the master set for "Master with Slave" and I have the slave set as "Slave".

hey, yes both drives show up in the BIOS. How do I format and partition the drive from the BIOS? Thanks!

You dont format the drive from CMOS. If your BIOS detected it fine, then you can do the rest from Windows. Just right-click "My Computer," and click "Manage." Go to "Disk Management." Right-click your new drive. Then, I think there will be an option to "activate new drive" (or something to that effect). Then you can right-click the new drive again, and then make partitions and format them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom