Won't pass POST test, and its not that RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
This is to consolidate an ongoing discussion (and to redirect it):

I came back from Christmas vacation last night and tried to check my email....

Unfortunately my computer won't boot and I'm at a loss at what to do next. I've had the computer since Jan 2003. I've had some problems lately bluescreening infrequently...but nothing this serious before.

It does not pass the POST test (no Beep), all that happens is the fans go on, the power light is on, and any drive lights are on, the numlock key can toggle. The monitor is connected but powers down (because no signal is sent).

• I've disconnected any pci cards
  • I've removed power & cables from the optical drives
  • I've removed power & cables from the hard drive

That leaves either faulty Ram, bad CPU or bad motherboard. So,

• I've removed the ram completely - no POST
  • I've purchased new RAM and tried it as well
  • I've powered on with the CPU and RAM removed
  • I've reseated the CPU and reapplied thermal compound

I believe that it can POST with only the CPU and motherboard. But, unfortunately, it isn't. Is there any way to distinguish which is the problem (CPU/Mobo)?

Please post any other ideas before I order a new CPU....

Here's my specs:
MSI Motherboard (VIA Chipset)
AMD Athlon XP 2100 (1.67 Ghz)
512 MB Ram (removed)

test if it's the video card, by taking it out, turn it on and listen for beeps (which should be telling you there is no video)

somehow I doubt it is the CPU, unless it hadn't got enough cooling, which is rare for most people unless you're an overclocker
so I would say it's the motherboard if not the video card

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's running onboard video.

I did try a Geforce 4 in the AGP slot anyways. No beep, no POST.

I'll check tomorrow to see...if it is the motherboard, any recommendations? (or if I should just upgrade...)

upgrades can be pretty cheap now

a refurbished motherboard like this is pretty descent, you don't really have to get a new CPU, but Socket A CPU's are really cheap now
you can get an Athlon XP 2800+ for under $100

Well, I bought a DFI NFORCE 2 NF-II 400-AL $59 locally

It solved the problem...but I having some problems finding the right processor speed (it says its 1.25 ghz instead of 1.67 ghz).

Does anyone know anything about this mobo? I heard the nforce chipsets perform well...but I don't know about DFI. It doesn't seem as well supported.

Should I return it and try something else?

bengance said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's running onboard video.

I did try a Geforce 4 in the AGP slot anyways. No beep, no POST.
stop right there for a sec. lets talk about this...
you say no beep, no post?
are you sure there was no post... could there have been a post, but you didn't see it b/c there were no drivers installed at that point? and/or the on board was still active and monitor was connected to the new vid. card...
???

i want to rule this out first.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom