wiring lcd monitor directly to hdmi cable.. possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindnumbinglyfun

Solid State Member
i am planning to rip an lcd screen (hitachi tx38d83vc1fab) out of an old laptop. the plan is to make a projection screen. the only difficult part of this project for me will be actually connecting this display to my computer. the only video out my computer has is an hdmi port, so i plan to (if it is even possible) connect my hdmi cable directly to the lcds cable.

i do not yet have the pinout for this monitor. i am wondering if anyone here could tell me if it will even be possible to simply splice an hdmi cable to any given xvga lcds connection cable.

Not possible, HDMI sends a very different signal out, your monitor will need a logic board that will convert HDMI to the signal the screen actually needs.

thank you for the fast reply :)

well, perhaps the laptop im taking it from has this logic board inside? i can see that on the back side of the entire LCD display (including the backlight and such) there is a circuit board about 1/4 the size of the screen. is has one medium sized ribbon cable attached directly to the bottom of the screen and one small ribbon cable near the top on the left side. both are directly to the lcd, i wont be dealing with the backlight at all.

that small board is the inverter. You won't be able to do what you want to do with parts you already have. As corrosive said you'll have to buy a converter board that converts the signal to an HDMI output which I don't expect would be cheap.

thank you for the fast reply :)

well, perhaps the laptop im taking it from has this logic board inside? i can see that on the back side of the entire LCD display (including the backlight and such) there is a circuit board about 1/4 the size of the screen. is has one medium sized ribbon cable attached directly to the bottom of the screen and one small ribbon cable near the top on the left side. both are directly to the lcd, i wont be dealing with the backlight at all.

All that logic board does is convert the signal from the GPU into a different signal, that board is what tells which pixel to turn what color, and when. You would need another board between that, and the HDMI cable to convert the HDMI signal into something that other logic board (the one on the screen)can understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom