Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knowitall!
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N. Calif.
Posts: 632
Default Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

I am curious as to why, when I shop for a mouse or keyboard, there is a large selection of wireless models to choose from but only a few Bluetooth models. Many laptops come with Bluetooth built-in but I've never seen one with wireless built-in. In order to use wireless, one must plug in the little wireless dongle to a USB port.

Not to mention that Bluetooth provides other useful capabilities such as file transfer, wireless headsets, speakers, printers, etc... which wireless does not.

Additionally, Bluetooth is a standard while wireless is not. There's no guarantee that one manufacturer's wireless dongle will work with another manufacturer's mouse or keyboard which is why each wireless device comes with it's own dongle.

I do notice that the wireless mice/keyboards are less expensive, is cost the only reason? Why isn't Bluetooth more popular?
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn
 
Yevrag35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin, US
Posts: 1,118
Default Re: Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

I would say that the average user would sacrifice the benefits of having a bluetooth mouse over just a standard wireless mouse for one reason: Convenience!

Wireless mice are simply plug and play, bluetooth not so much. While bluetooth gives better range and compatibility, people don't care if convenience and price are on the other side of the aisle.
__________________

__________________


Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,516
Default Re: Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

RF (wireless) is cheaper to do. It has much less range as well compared to Bluetooth that's rated at around 30 feet. Sometimes the cheap RF keyboard/mice have to be within a few feet of the dongle, otherwise it won't pick up (my lower-end Logitech mouse is like this - if I plug it into the opposite side of my laptop and move the mouse a few feet away from the system in the opposite direction, it won't pick up anymore).
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,315
Default Re: Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

Interference. Dongles like the Logitech ones for gaming (G700, ect) are designed to have the least amount of interference problems and are 100% plug and play. No connecting, nothing.

If you notice, Bluetooth devices usually also come with their own dongle because not every laptop has Bluetooth. 99% of motherboards for PCs don't either.

As for standard, it's meant to be that way for RF for the above reason, specifically with Logitech devices again for the above reason.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knowitall!
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N. Calif.
Posts: 632
Default Re: Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
... If you notice, Bluetooth devices usually also come with their own dongle because not every laptop has Bluetooth. 99% of motherboards for PCs don't either. ...
I've purchased BT mice, keyboards, speakers, GPS devices and headsets. Not one of the BT devices I have ever purchased has included a dongle. I have a number of cheap little BT dongles and every BT device has worked with everyone of those dongles without issue. I have laptops with and without BT and all the devices worked with the ones with built-in BT, no proprietary dongle needed.

I also have a smartphone and a tablet that both have BT built-in and all of the BT devices I've bought work with them as well.

From what I am gathering, the main reason given for the popularity of wireless is the no setup, ease of installation.

Pairing of BT devices is not difficult so I'm not sure if that is really the reason. I think it probably has more to do with cost since I believe manufacturer's probably need to pay a fee to be able to use BT in their products while their own RF design doesn't cost them a thing. The manufacturer's pass the fee on to the consumer so a BT device costs more to purchase than the RF device. Consumers are cost sensitive so purchase the RF device even though BT is technically superior.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 2
Default Re: Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

I had to go with BT after RF would not work across living room. I hook my laptop to my big screen mounted on the wall but like to sit on the couch about 20 feet away. It fixed the frustration and has worked fine for my application.
Jimmy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,315
Default Re: Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I've purchased BT mice, keyboards, speakers, GPS devices and headsets. Not one of the BT devices I have ever purchased has included a dongle. I have a number of cheap little BT dongles and every BT device has worked with everyone of those dongles without issue. I have laptops with and without BT and all the devices worked with the ones with built-in BT, no proprietary dongle needed.

I also have a smartphone and a tablet that both have BT built-in and all of the BT devices I've bought work with them as well.

From what I am gathering, the main reason given for the popularity of wireless is the no setup, ease of installation.

Pairing of BT devices is not difficult so I'm not sure if that is really the reason. I think it probably has more to do with cost since I believe manufacturer's probably need to pay a fee to be able to use BT in their products while their own RF design doesn't cost them a thing. The manufacturer's pass the fee on to the consumer so a BT device costs more to purchase than the RF device. Consumers are cost sensitive so purchase the RF device even though BT is technically superior.
Not what I was talking about on the Bluetooth. Yes, most all BT devices will work with anything BT available device/dongle. But the thing is, almost literally no motherboards come with built in BT and not all laptops have them. It's an extra cost to purchase a dongle for BT whereas with RF the manufacturers can make their own and package them. Not to mention, less interference for certain devices with that in mind.
Just depends on the target audience really.

To the last guy, I have no issues running my mouse across the room and it's RF.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knowitall!
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N. Calif.
Posts: 632
Default Re: Wireless vs Bluetooth for mouse/keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
... But the thing is, almost literally no motherboards come with built in BT and not all laptops have them. It's an extra cost to purchase a dongle for BT whereas with RF the manufacturers can make their own and package them. Not to mention, less interference for certain devices with that in mind.
Just depends on the target audience really. ...
I'll bet there are more mobos and laptops that come with built-in BT than come with built-in RF. I personally I have never seen a mobo or laptop with RF built-in although I suppose there might be some out there.

I have never encountered interference from my BT devices so I'm not sure what you are referring to with that.

It seems strange to refer to the BT alternative as either wireless or RF since BT is both wireless and RF!
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.