Wireless router setup problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2004, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Wireless router setup problem

I bought a NETGEAR RP614 router last week to so I could connect both my Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop with Windows 98 and my desktop with XP Home Edition to my cable modem. I set both computers according to the manual (which is very easy to follow). All the lights worked as the book indicated, but that's as far as I could get. The next step was to connect to to configure the router. I didn’t have Internet access with either computer, so I reconnected the modem to my desktop and got the message, "The page cannot be displayed." I tried again last night with the same result.

Netgear only has e-mail technical support; the first time I contacted them I got what looked like an automated response saying if this didn’t solve my problem to reply and get a personal response. That was last Friday. I sent another e-mail yesterday (Saturday), but have heard nothing.

I have an Encore wireless PC card for my laptop.

Can anyone help me?

Old 02-15-2004, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to RyanOldw83

Try renewing your IP.

Windows XP PRO:$0, Visual Studio 6:$0, Age of Empires 2:$0, Halo:$0.
Having $100s in free MS software while people are being sued over $.99 songs: Priceless
Old 02-15-2004, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm sorry, but could you explain what you mean by renew?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Your setting it manuely for some reason and not using Home networking on XP.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

unplugging the power for the modem, and plugging it back in can renew your IP and get you a fresh connection
Old 03-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I learned that one problem was that my router wasn't wireless.
Today I received my new wireless Netgear router, and it works fine with my desktop, but I can't get my laptop to work with it. I have an Encore 2.4GHx 11 Mbps pci cardbus adapter, but following the instructions, I came to a dead end. The installation wizard went through the installation OK, but then it said to go to the "wireless cardbuss adpter utility" to continue the configuration. I can't find this utility. There is a "utility" folder on the disk, but it just holds the setup file.

There is no support section, so noone to contact.

Do you have any suggestions.

Closed Thread