wireless router location

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxblaza117

In Runtime
was wonderin where would be the place to place a wireless router? i live in a 3 story house...would the 1st floor be best and poin the antennas upwards/sideways? i also heard placein it on the cieling works good to...any tips?

I live in a three story apartment. There is one cable outlet, on the first floor. The landlords absolutely positively will not allow another cable outlet to be placed anywhere else. Getting a wireless router was my best solution to have computers on the second and third floors. I have a D Link DI 624, and D Link DWL G520 PCI adapters on my two desktops, at the second and third floors. With the standard antennas, I have a full connection reading Very Good to Excellent on the third floor. I do angle my antenna back at about a 45 degree angle, because I read the top of the omni directional antenna have the weakest signal, with most of the signal strength being horizontal to the antenna.
With my Axim X30, I can get a fairly decent signal outside the apartment as well.
Unless you have cathedral ceilings on every floor, you should be ok.

I try to put them as high as possible, preferably in the area between the roof and ceiling.

But if you have a smaller house, just leave it in your basement.

Just dont have it near amy cordless phones, they operate on the same frequency.

"they *might* operate on the same frequency." :)

If the cordless phone really does operate on the same frequency, having both of them transmit at the same time "will" cause problems as long as their coverage area overlaps.. Even if 802.11 has collision detection/avoidance, I don't believe cordless phones have the same capability... (I think!).. Haven't read much about cordless phone specs. lol

If you have ever noticed, channels 1-11 are all 2.4xx GHz on a wifi. you can change the xx by selecting a different channel, but it is still 2.4 GHz. most all cordless phones are now 2.4GHz. Unless it is 5.8 GHz, or 900MHz. I was just making a geralization. It wont definetely cause interference, but there is a better than average chance that it will. In my experience, being either too close or too far from the router will both be detrimental to your quality. In my bedroom, where my router is, I cannot use my wireless card. But as soon as I step out of my bedroom, it works. Kind of weird.

GrimReaper23 said:
I heard keep it away from masons lowers the strength (basement)

You mean if you keep it from concrete and things of that sort, wignal strength will lower? Thats weird man, figured concrete would only prove to impair the signal..

bronxblaza117 said:
was wonderin where would be the place to place a wireless router? i live in a 3 story house...would the 1st floor be best and poin the antennas upwards/sideways? i also heard placein it on the cieling works good to...any tips?

I'm thinking second floor. Picture your signal as a big circle around you router, your router being the center. Being in between all of the potential machines to connect to it would be the best way to guarantee signal all over the house IMO.

Depends on the construction of your house, dude, but basically, you just want to put it in a place where it has as little as possible to go through to reach your computers.

I have mine in the basement, just because that's where I installed the cable jack. I got the boosted antennae for the modem, and have little to no problems. The only place I've encountered difficulty is on the 3rd floor in the master bath, since it's all stone tile with a steel understructure (damned oversized tub! :D ).

You're best bet is to experiment. Place it on the bottom floor, and wander around with yer laptop and see the connection status. If it's bad, try moving it up to the second floor, and so on. Also, the position of the modem on the floor itself can have an effect. For instance, if I placed my modem on the right-side of my basement, it'd be up against the wall containing the air-conditioner, and I'd have trouble getting a signal in places of my house where my laptop "sees" through the air-conditioner to the modem.

ShoobieRat said:
Also, the position of the modem on the floor itself can have an effect. For instance, if I placed my modem on the right-side of my basement, it'd be up against the wall containing the air-conditioner, and I'd have trouble getting a signal in places of my house where my laptop "sees" through the air-conditioner to the modem.

Woah, wait, what? Position of the modem itself? Please explain further. I have some real wireless difficulties at my house, and my parrents depend on it for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom