Wireless Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

problematic

Baseband Member
I've recently purchased a laptop with a built in Ralink RT2500 wireless network card.

The card seemed to work fine until one day, when I was round a neighbours house.

He has the next model laptop with a slightly different wireless card (although the manufacturer is the same).We tried connecting to my wireless ADSL router, and his wireless card reported the connection strength as being 'excellent' with mine showing 'poor/low'. Even after trying different places to sit in the room, the respective signal strengths remained the same.

We looked on the manufacturers website, and found an apparent update to my driver, which by all accounts, should aid in improving the signal strength.

Installing the new driver failed to give me a better signal strength at my friends house, but seemed to make the signal strength in my own home appear much worse.

Before, I used to get the signal strength as either 'excellent' or 'very good' and the Tx rate as 54Mbps. Now, I can only get the signal strength as 'low' and cant get the Tx rate above 24Mbps with it sometimes dropping down to below 10Mbps (I have even seen it go as low as 1Mbps). This is sitting in the same places in my house, with the router being only in the next room. (The router is not situated by any speakers or objects which could affect the signal.).

I've tried uninstalling the drivers to put it back to how it was, but this has made no difference, and I still experience the problems.

I could really do with some help and advice with this one. I want to get my wireless adapter working as it was, but don't know how to do it simply. Please bare in mind with your advice, I know how to navigate around a computer and change some setting, but when it come to re-programming and such-the-like, I'm completely lost. Also, no suggestions please of rebuilding the computer, as I refuse to do this after 'bad experiences'.

Please, Please can someone help?!?!

I look forward to your replies!!!

Thank you in advance!!

You said that uninstalling the drivers made no difference...if this is the case then i doubt it is the drivers but maybe it was something else that you did after you installed the drivers....also maybe you aren't close enough to the wireless router and that could be causing a low signal...or if you are running ad-hoc mode...this is when you and the main computer(your desktop) are connecting without the use of a router(i could be totally wrong on this). adding an access point to your network should strengthen the signal,you can buy these at any electronics store/website...hopefully someone more familiar with this will comment,and correct my errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom