Wireless Headset (Noise Cancelling Advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberrico

Solid State Member
I just accepted a new outside sales job where I will be working from home. I've worked from home in the past and one pretty major problem I had was all of the noise that came from the street.

I live in a safe suburban neighborhood but every other guy in the area seems to own a motorcycle. This is a very popular yuppie thing in Northern California. I also have a fire station down the street that has to pass my house to get to 90% of its destinations.

Needless to say, it is noisy outside of my office. Working from a cordless phone was key, but I found myself running out of my office when a loud bike or fire engine passed my house. My customers often complained about this.

Another factor is that I use voice over IP in my home. I have a fantastic internet connection and my provider has yet to let me down.

Hence I need a wireless headset for my computer rather than a wireless headset for my phone.

I'm accustomed to using a headset at my computer as I play a lot of video games. But I will need it to be wireless. I don't want to be tethered to my desk all day.

In my searches I only found two things. One is a Logitech wireless PC headset that I have heard nothing but bad things about. Battery, range, quality were all bad. That's out.

The other option is a Plantronics headset:

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat5480033/prod5300004

One thing that caught my eye with this headset is that it has some sort of noise canceling technology. I've seen this in phone headsets. The better ones somehow filter out sounds that are far away from the microphone hence canceling some of the background noise that might occur around me. THIS is exactly what I am looking for in that respect if this headset does indeed filter out some background noise.

I know what you're thinking. I solved my own problem, right? Before I make this purchase, I just wanted to run this by some experts and I have found this forum to be an amazing source of information.

Is this "noise canceling" just a bunch of BS?
Are there more options out there that I am missing?
Should I get a traditional phone line for a better noise canceling solution?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom